• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Disappointed They're NOT Making Me Start At White Belt!?

So I know this is a complete 180 from what most people on here usually talk about when starting at a new school, but the TKD school I just signed up for tonight (I decided to go for it for at least a month) actually wants me to wear my green belt I got in Isshinryu until I work my way up to their green belt (which, thankfully, is about half the rank ours is). I'll do it, of course-- it's what they want and it'll save me money not having to buy any belts for the first year or so, but there are a few reasons I'm disappointed.

-- I'm a little nervous of what the others in the class will think. All the people with belts less than green might be upset that someone coming in off the street is wearing a higher belt than them and the fact that I'm currently horrible at kicking and TKD is mostly about the kicks might make my green belt a joke.

-- I kind of wish I could go up the ranks again. It's fun to get a new belt and I think it would be fun to start from white and go up the ladder again. Plus then at least I'd know where I stand. I've been in "belt limbo" before where I wore a belt that didn't match my skill (when I restarted Isshinryu I had to wear a white belt until I got back up to 6th kyu, so I had a white belt on even though my skills were a bit higher than that) and it's annoying to not really know which level you're at (and yes, I know the orignial karate system didn't even have belts and many still have only three or four and so that it's common, but I have a bad habit of labeling myself as much as I can, and the belt around my waist helps feed that probably harmful addiction. :dodgy:

-- The most important reason (jk)-- They have black uniforms and the light colored belts (white, yellow and orange) look so super awesomely cool with black uniforms but I don't get to wear those cool brightly colored belts. :bawling:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm in a similar situation, but not quite the same. One of my goals for this year is to earn rank in Shorin-Ryu because I have just been wearing my brown belt from Shuri-Ryu (I don't own a white one anymore and my Sensei didn't have any for me to borrow and said it was fine for me to wear my brown belt). Well, I asked him on Monday, since I am spending a little Christmas money on sparring gear online anyway, if he would like me to order a white belt since I don't have any rank in Shorin-Ryu.

He quietly said no, and gave me the "end of discussion" look.

The reason my situation is different from yours is that all of the basic techniques are the same, with only very slight changes (blocks are held a little higher, rear foot points to the 45 in zenkutsu-dachi, etc) so I am really only adapting my basics slightly and learning new kata. It is a different style with different methodology, and I expected to start at white belt but my skill level is technically higher than that, so I am in the same sort of situation you were in at your Isshin-ryu school. I will be wearing my Shuri-Ryu brown belt until I deserve a Shorin-Ryu one, and I always tell people that my rank is in Shuri-Ryu so I am not hiding it. I feel kind of guilty, though.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I wouldn't worry about what others think too much. Remember who you are there for: you. If they ask about it, tell them what the deal is. Be up front, and they'll probably understand. Then, ask them to help you with some kicks. :)

No matter the style difference, putting someone with prior experience with newbies/white belts would be disheartening for the beginners. It's just easier to put a green with the other greens until he has the new material, and movement down pat. It's expected that you will learn faster, and the way testing goes, you'd either be tracked with the rest (of the white belts), and not really belong, or pull ahead and that would make them feel like clods.

Leaves fall.

I agree in such similar styles with so much overlap, it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Now, if one were starting a system entirely different than the one he or she were presently ranked in then it would be a different story. Then the white belt makes perfect sense.

I attended an Aikido class once and asked to borrow a white belt. The teacher told me to wear my black belt, because I had earned it. Aikido is very different, so it felt quite strange to be wearing high rank among decent low rank students.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about what the other students think, and if they don't like it, then all they have to do is...complain to the instructor....and then they can see just how far that will get them...not far! After all, like Brian said...you're there for YOU!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I don't think students should care about this. I mean it's not their business. They are there to TRAIN, not pass judgement. If the instructor told you to wear your belt, you just wear it and make sure you learn the new stuff. I'd agree that, even if come from Shotokan for instance and we have different techniques than in TKD, after 5 years I should be able to fare better than a total noob in TKD. I agree I might not kick that high (though I kinda kick well), but it would be a matter of weeks, till I adjust my technique to theirs. I won't be their best student, but I surely am not white belt material.

I know this sounds awfully mystical, but I would suggest that the attitude of rank that you bring to your new style matters more than the rank holding your gi together. That makes me want to vomit, it's so cliche, but bear with me, please.

In the aikido dojo where I train, there is a girl with her brown belt in goju-ryu, a girl with a black belt in tae kwan do, a guy with a black belt in tae kwan do, and myself (black belt in American Kenpo). The tae kwan do guy and goju-ryu girl wear their previous rank, and tend to act as if they have earned that rank in all systems: they are resistant to suggestion and help, constantly question the efficacy of a technique, and correct students who outrank them in aikido. I only just found out that the other black belt in tae kwan do is a black belt, and many people in the rather small dojo still don't know my rank in Kenpo, because if they ask, I just say that I "have some other experience." I'd like to think that she and I are more pleasant for the other students and the sensei to teach.

My point is, you can wear your green belt with the attitude of a white belt--or, more properly, a black belt: know what you know, know what you don't know, and be willing to learn about both.

You are bound to become a buddha if you practice.

If water drips long enough, even rocks wear through.

It is not true thick skulls cannot be pierced;

people just imagine their minds are hard.

~ Shih-wu

I know this sounds awfully mystical, but I would suggest that the attitude of rank that you bring to your new style matters more than the rank holding your gi together. That makes me want to vomit, it's so cliche, but bear with me, please.

In the aikido dojo where I train, there is a girl with her brown belt in goju-ryu, a girl with a black belt in tae kwan do, a guy with a black belt in tae kwan do, and myself (black belt in American Kenpo). The tae kwan do guy and goju-ryu girl wear their previous rank, and tend to act as if they have earned that rank in all systems: they are resistant to suggestion and help, constantly question the efficacy of a technique, and correct students who outrank them in aikido. I only just found out that the other black belt in tae kwan do is a black belt, and many people in the rather small dojo still don't know my rank in Kenpo, because if they ask, I just say that I "have some other experience." I'd like to think that she and I are more pleasant for the other students and the sensei to teach.

My point is, you can wear your green belt with the attitude of a white belt--or, more properly, a black belt: know what you know, know what you don't know, and be willing to learn about both.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!