• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
It takes about 1 hour to do all the kata properly, I get a good sweat on too. so burning calories too.

I have to wait for my Baby Son to wake up for his feed so rather than going asleep then waking up an hour or so later I just do kata whilst I'm waiting.

To add, does anyone find that they tend to do things in a "karate" type way, like opening doors with an empi/hiji tsuki (elbow strike) or doing a kata whilst stood waiting for the kettle to boil?

I'll make sure I wont do any extravagent techniques where the kettle is though lol

Hehe - I find myself doing things with a Karate-style-mannerism all the time! Ive even learnt to open/shut doors and turn on/off taps with my feet (when I was a frequent in bars and had to use the mens room).. :)

I'll use different rooms in my house at times. The hallway is especially good for making adjustments.

The hallway is really good. I have used this to focus on a lot of techniques that would require not moving or shifting sidways and also to keep balance in certain areas.

One thing that the hallway really helped me with was my roundoffs and backflips for gymnastics.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Indoors I typically train in my living room or guest bedroom. When I can, I prefer outdoor training.

Depending on what's going on throughout the day, sometimes I'll squeeze in a kata here or there. In one of the buildings I occasionally go to, the elevator up to the proper floor takes just enough time to perform Yantsu.

yeah im with you kuma. I prefer outdoors. the layout of the land is great for practicing and depending on what shoes your wearing can make a interesting work out.

I have a long and skinny bathroom with mirrors on perpendicular walls, so I always like to do my tekki kata there.

As for the rest of my kata... well, I happen to work at a place with a large indoor Japanese garden. Some days I must clean it and observe visitors walking through it for hours on end to make sure no one falls in the koi pond and what not. Whenever no one is around though, I go over to this one spot where I can't be seen through the windows and practice the whole time. Sometimes I practice doing adaptations of kata (like kanku-sho) with a detached broom handle as my bo. It's really quite nice with koto music being played in the background. haha!

To add, does anyone find that they tend to do things in a "karate" type way, like opening doors with an empi/hiji tsuki (elbow strike) or doing a kata whilst stood waiting for the kettle to boil?

Haha! It's so true! At some point I began to open doors with my knee in pre-front-thrust-kick position. The doors around my work place are really heavy and my hands are often busy, so it's very convenient.

Also, on my way to and from my car/work every day I practice jumps while keeping my head level and without losing hold of my lunch and paperwork as I cross several chain-encircled parking lots in my normal short cut route. This has earned me a bit of mockery from my coworkers though... you see, one day I was feeling tired and tried to slowly step over one of the waist-high chains. I lost my footing and ended up covered in spagetti sauce.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

• 2 weeks later...

At times, I've been caught by the wife shutting the upper cabinet doors with hook kicks and round kicks. I try to do them more slowly, and its really good for the leg strength.

• 1 month later...

I do mine in my head. I just visualise all the moves, and that way I can do them anywhere, anytime, without anyone even knowing what I'm doing!!!

Cheers

Alex