Music while training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate music while training, mainly because I like the music I like but don't want to listen to music I don't like. I hate the music in my local gym and have to wear earplugs while doing my cardio sessions, although I will occasionally listen to Radio 4 (interesting documentaries, drama and comedy). Music while sparring is counterproductive for me, as Honoluludesktop pointed out. I spent my youth playing in various Brass Bands and just can't avoid moving to a beat which makes my movements easily predictable.

If a Karate club played music while teaching then I would not go there again.

My problem is if I hear a song I like, I like to sing along. Then that can interfere with whatever else I'm doing. And if I start dancing, someone might get hurt...

In our school, we listen to music as well.

Some Linkin Park, some old school, some new school. Nothing full of swear words and violence LOL

I think in a way, it helps in the adult class.

The children's class has different music and they keep it on a lower volume.

Celeste

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle." - Motto of the Navy Seals

Having a good montage is really the only way to get into shape and improve your skills really quickly.

Gold! :lol: :lol: :lol:

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

I have the radio on as background music for my Muay Thai sessions. The first Muay Thai gym I ever trained at always had music playing and it's very common in gyms in Thailand. Muay Thai fights are always accompanied by music.

I also have soft and gentle classical type music playing in my Tai Chi sessions which I find compliments the movements of the forms.

Saying that, I think it would be a bit weird in a traditional type Karate session.

We do some nights depending on the class. if it's going to be a hard sweat with loads of grappling or sparring we turn it on. I have around five play lists on the ipod for such classes. But for a normal class I usually don't hook the ipod up.

At my BJJ gym there's always music but you do notice it most of the time unless something we find funny comes on and this typically happens during stretching.