Music while training?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the purpose of fighting, moving to the beat can give the opponent an oppertunity to take you out. Can you see a NBA or NFL match with heavy music in the background?

I can't imagine sparring with a line of fat guys with my name painted on their bellies one letter a piece, drinking beer and heckling my training partner. Sorry that image just popped in my head, football fans amuse me. really though, i find a rhythm to be helpful, some do better without it. Capoeira and I think Kali use music in training traditionally.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Music can be great for motivation and rhythm, but its also important to be able to do without it. But, I'm sure that is not a major issue for most of us.

I like to listen to music while training at home. I just start internet radio, and listen to random music. I do it postly because I dont like when it's silent in my room (beating sand bag doesnt count as sound for me)

A style is just a name.

Music can be great for motivation and rhythm, but its also important to be able to do without it. But, I'm sure that is not a major issue for most of us.

Rhadi Ferguson won't let the people he personally trains wear an ipod or anything. He says you need to be self motivated because music won't be there to motivate you when you need it. He feels this is true in all aspects of being successful. I tend to agree.

• 2 months later...

It depends on what I'm practicing specifically. But yes, I do listen to music.

Strike first. 'Til then i will not fight you.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.

Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

really though, i find a rhythm to be helpful, some do better without it. Capoeira and I think Kali use music in training traditionally.

Right. Music is, among other harder to explain things, either a partial substitute for a training partner (often along with a folding chair) or a clock to keep people more honest in speed-controlled sparring. We have a much more refined theory of timing than the 'yay motorset' people like to fret about.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• 4 months later...

Rhadi Ferguson won't let the people he personally trains wear an ipod or anything. He says you need to be self motivated because music won't be there to motivate you when you need it. He feels this is true in all aspects of being successful. I tend to agree.

I agree with this. I actually heard a fellow once complaining about not being able to lift (weights) to the music that was currently playing. And it was like he actually let it affect his lifting. I just couldn't understand that.

Music is, among other harder to explain things, either a partial substitute for a training partner (often along with a folding chair) or a clock to keep people more honest in speed-controlled sparring. We have a much more refined theory of timing than the 'yay motorset' people like to fret about.

I never really thought about it as a clock before, but I can see what you mean here. It would be interesting to see how it is used, and watch the movement flowing with the the rhythm.