• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anyone ever lost control?

Has anybody ever lost control in a street fight and went above and beyond the self defense aspect? I ask b cuz i have done just that and i really felt terrible afterwards. :-?

Are you posting that you committed a crime? You have the right to remain silent according to law. If you feel terrible, speak with someone you can confide in, remember that you may need an attorney, but don't put it into writing and post it on the Internet, Davison.

With all due respect to what GeoGiant has said (such as if you lost control during sparring and feel badly about it), I wouldn't put something into writing, such as "went above and beyond the self defense aspect."

Ithink i need to clarify: first, there were 20 people envolved. Three attacked me. Police were called and i did speak to the police. The first two officers were also my students. I was in the right to defend my self. What i ment by this post was that this fight gave me an opportunity to test my skill and i did. But i probably could have used less force than i did. And even though i WAS justified in my actions, I still felt bad for having to hurt these people. It was a learning experience.

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ithink i need to clarify: first, there were 20 people envolved. Three attacked me. Police were called and i did speak to the police. . . .

i probably could have used less force than i did. And even though i WAS justified in my actions, I still felt bad for having to hurt these people. It was a learning experience.

You were in a dangerous situation and defended yourself accordingly, but looked back at it afterwards regarding how much force you used. As you observed, Davison, it was a learning experience.

Edited by joesteph

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

No, I never "lost control", however, I wasn't ever in a situation like yours and your situation is understandable.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thank you guys. I didnt want it to end like i was a criminal being a bully or something. I prob should have worded the post defferently to begin with.

i have had to disable my kids hands before because they threw punches at me but i did not punch.

In nys you are considered a weapon if you're a black belt even if ur not a really skilled black belt. Shihan said as long as you don't throw the first punch ur fine, but, karate is all about self control.

there are kids in my class the shihan has to watch closely on spar nights.

one kid was scaring the younger blackbelt and i stepped in and just said yea u may be able to try that w/ him but not me and i was a brown belt.

Yet i was not gonna take flack from someone younger either.

You only learn self control by experience.

You feel bad so there for chances are you wont do it again it is a learning experience, but ur next learning experience pending on your own self discipline may be something worse.

To avoid any other future issues, step back and look at the other masters. we have a whole list of them on our wall for shito ryu karate and they all meditated and have implicable self control.

You see these old guys that generally u would think u'ld be able to take out in two seconds that wont throw a punch til ur in their favor. You wont be able to blink and u'ld be on the ground so ..

Way i look at it is, in the art world (i'm an artist) there is always someone better than you...

In the karate world, there is always someone better, bigger and faster than u .

If u want to stay in one piece, learn self control. Life is all one big learning experience, humble thing would be if hes in ur dojo, apologize and move on and learn from it. Cowering and being upset will just make them want to get even w/ you.

Edited by zalexia

i have had to disable my kids hands before because they threw punches at me but i did not punch.

In nys you are considered a weapon if you're a black belt even if ur not a really skilled black belt. Shihan said as long as you don't throw the first punch ur fine, but, karate is all about self control.

there are kids in my class the shihan has to watch closely on spar nights.

one kid was scaring the younger blackbelt and i stepped in and just said yea u may be able to try that w/ him but not me and i was a brown belt.

Yet i was not gonna take flack from someone younger either.

You only learn self control by experience.

You feel bad so there for chances are you wont do it again it is a learning experience, but ur next learning experience pending on your own self discipline may be something worse.

To avoid any other future issues, step back and look at the other masters. we have a whole list of them on our wall for shito ryu karate and they all meditated and have implicable self control.

You see these old guys that generally u would think u'ld be able to take out in two seconds that wont throw a punch til ur in their favor. You wont be able to blink and u'ld be on the ground so ..

Way i look at it is, in the art world (i'm an artist) there is always someone better than you...

In the karate world, there is always someone better, bigger and faster than u .

If u want to stay in one piece, learn self control. Life is all one big learning experience, humble thing would be if hes in ur dojo, apologize and move on and learn from it. Cowering and being upset will just make them want to get even w/ you.

Black belt and skilled blk belt? Im pretty sure u have to b skilled to earn a blk belt? I ve studied MA for over 20 yrs so i prettymuch know all about self control. there were three of them against me. Acorrding to this states law allows me the right to kill during the commission of a class x felony-Mob Action. I felt bad because i have a good heart. It wasnt my kids hands i had to subdue. My point is maybe i could of used less force but when i get attacked i react. Try useing self control when there is a fight envolving 20 people and three of them are running at u. At that time your conditioned responses take over. :karate:

Black belt and skilled blk belt? Im pretty sure u have to b skilled to earn a blk belt?

Not at a black belt factory type school of the martial arts.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Ithink i need to clarify: first, there were 20 people envolved. Three attacked me. Police were called and i did speak to the police. The first two officers were also my students. I was in the right to defend my self. What i ment by this post was that this fight gave me an opportunity to test my skill and i did. But i probably could have used less force than i did. And even though i WAS justified in my actions, I still felt bad for having to hurt these people. It was a learning experience.

They wouldn't have felt bad for hurting you, that's for sure. If you would have assumed that you could have gotten by on less force, then you may have been overpowered, and who knows what would've happened then. Its always easy when hindsight is 20/20.

They wouldn't have felt bad for hurting you, that's for sure. If you would have assumed that you could have gotten by on less force, then you may have been overpowered, and who knows what would've happened then. Its always easy when hindsight is 20/20.

Exactly- Hindsight is a powerfull tool, and can be applied to almost any action. In this case, as Bushido said, they would likely not have had a second thought about harming you (even three on one!).

"It is the most skilled samurai who keeps his sword in the scabbard..."

But...

If you do have to take it out, at least make sure you will still be the most skilled samurai tomorrow!!!!!!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."