• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Has anyone ever lost control?

Has anybody ever lost control in a street fight and went above and beyond the self defense aspect? I ask b cuz i have done just that and i really felt terrible afterwards. :-?

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody ever lost control in a street fight and went above and beyond the self defense aspect? I ask b cuz i have done just that and i really felt terrible afterwards. :-?

Hmmmm. DETAILS, I'm going to need some details!

Are you posting that you committed a crime? You have the right to remain silent according to law. If you feel terrible, speak with someone you can confide in, remember that you may need an attorney, but don't put it into writing and post it on the Internet, Davison.

With all due respect to what GeoGiant has said (such as if you lost control during sparring and feel badly about it), I wouldn't put something into writing, such as "went above and beyond the self defense aspect."

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Im talking about something that happened yrs ago. Before i was a police officer.. And i did get the chance to say sorry to one of the guys. But in my state when three guys attack a person, thats called mob action. My bad for putting up a post such as this one..

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

This is a relevant matter. In a fight, its fight or flight. In most fights people have probably lost their tempers. If you don't lose your temper, you can walk away. If you can't walk away, and you fight in self defense, it doesn't matter, unless your temper causes you to lose.

It always feel bad later, after losing ones temper, whether involved in a fight or not. Can't say for others, but I train, and kumite not to lose my temper, by staying singularly focused on distance. Police, like military are different, they fight on circumstance.

I never have in self-defense, just because I haven't had it happen that much. As far as just losing my temper and letting my actions get out of hand, oh yeah, that's happened before. Afterwards, I take the time to analyze what I did, and if I care or not that I may have broken or destroyed something, and what to do about it.

Now, here is where I'm sure my outlook will most likely differ from other Martial Artists' outlooks, but I don't mind losing my temper. I don't mind getting that hot feeling all over, and then becoming singularly focused on one thing, and dealing with it. I know I've got mad in classes before, and lost my temper, and I didn't feel bad about it. But, I didn't take anything to excess, either.

The other side of this is that I don't chalk up my actions to "losing my temper." I'm still responsible for my actions, and accept that. When I lose my temper, I know what I am doing, and I own my actions. Others claim it wasn't their fault because they lost their temper and control, but I do not think that is the case. Its just a convenient excuse for them to use. Resposibility doesn't go away.

I have never and that actually worries me more than anything. There have been times when I should have been angry but never got angry.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

I have never and that actually worries me more than anything. There have been times when I should have been angry but never got angry.

What happens with me, Jay, is that I don't get angry at the time, but it builds slowly, and then I'm very angry--too late! I realize that if I had expressed anger at the time, it would have been viewed as appropriate; later on can actually make me mad at myself for not having been angry then!

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Are you posting that you committed a crime? You have the right to remain silent according to law. If you feel terrible, speak with someone you can confide in, remember that you may need an attorney, but don't put it into writing and post it on the Internet, Davison.

With all due respect to what GeoGiant has said (such as if you lost control during sparring and feel badly about it), I wouldn't put something into writing, such as "went above and beyond the self defense aspect."

Joe, I was thinking more along the lines of sparring... not committing a crime! When I frame the initial question in the context of someone committing a crime of causing serious injury to another I take back my first post.

Joe, I was thinking more along the lines of sparring... not committing a crime! When I frame the initial question in the context of someone committing a crime of causing serious injury to another I take back my first post.

Sparring! Yes! Thanks for clarifying, GeoGiant! :D

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu