• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts Goals 2011

Haven't worked take downs lately sense Judo instructor left the gym. Been doing more work with Card, I feel okay with my top pressure, and am improving on passing, but I need as my instructor says on attacking from guard. Accept I get passed alot, so I have been working on guard control/retention, and guard recovery, which has helped me go on the attack more.

Specifically the guards, I use, is Closed, basic open (Feet on hips/shins in shoulder or bicept area) or Spider guard and De la Riva. I am doing better with the spider and de la riva guards, if I feel them trying to pass or break my grips I switch to get control back or go to another move. Helped me is switching to instep behind the knee, and a leg on the hip and using that to control and sweep. It has helped me alot to mess with there balance, as they are worried about getting sweted then they are passing.

I just wait holding guard to much and haven't really pushed to mess with balance, or go for sub or sweep to much. So I am improving slowly my instructor said, however what I do get down I have down solid. So I am happy with that.

Well over I am still happy I am heading towards my goals.

Regarding take downs, I need to get back into them more, maybe find some time with a partner on open mat day or something. Its hard because we don't do take downs much in my gym compared to ground techniques and rolling. I feel better about my mechanics of the techniques, and off balancing them during the entry's to set up the take down, but acutally trying to go for take downs when your partner is trying to take you down its what is getting me.

Still working on the set ups. I would love by the end of the year to get 2 take downs I can hit consistently with in combination. I would be happy with a 20% success rate.

How is every one else on their progress of there 2011 goals.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get real specific :lol:

Drop 10 lbs to lean down a bit.

Really hone Heian Sandan, Heian Godan, and Rohai. I love those kata, but I want to really hit them cleanly.

The past no longer is.

The future has not yet come.

The sage calls a person who knows how to dwell in mindfulness night and day

'one who knows the better way to live alone.'

• 8 months later...

These were my goals:

Stay healthy enough to continue to train.

I'm looking to add some ground fighting.

Want to spar more, perhaps spend some time boxing.

Help instruct at my dojo.

Compete in 6 or more tournaments (hopefully win or place in them).

Make 1st kyu.

Improve defense, combinations,flexibility, power, speed and accuracy.

This is what I accomplished:

Sustained an injured shoulder that still bothers me as I type.

No BJJ or ground fighting. Perhaps in 2012.

I assist with teaching at my dojo

I started a Karate (Character Education) Club at a local elementary club (I am the instructor).

I placed number 1 in my region of the National Blackbelt League continous sparring middle weight division.

Made 1st kyu.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

2011-

Compete at least three times. One of which I want to be the IBJJF in Chicago.

Focus on hitting takedowns to start matches off

Win one of said tournies in my division. I've come in 2nd twice. We'll see.

Lastly, watch my diet better so I'm not cutting 15 lbs prior to a competition

Okay, so here's where we ended up.

I didn't get three comps in due to scheduling. However, I did indeed get a win in a division. Taking bronze in my weight class and then the gold in the absoloute class at the IBJJF winter open. So I din't get volume, but I did get quality in the comp I really wanted to do.

My takedown work got WAAAY better. I threatened with it in the sole tournament I did, but I focued on training it once/ week pretty much all year. Takedowns are much better.

Diet. Well this one's a split. I'm down to about a 10 pound cut. But I'm still in a position where I have to cut prior to a gi tournament. At least I'm not worse.

Here's to next year.

My goal is to make my form, Yoo Sin hyung, look better, and work my way up physically so that I begin to feel ready to test for my 4th dan. I want to feel like a 4th dan, though, so I plan to increase my abilities as best I can.

Here were my goals. I feel I have made some progress with my form; perhaps less has been more in that area. When I do it, I feel more comfortable, and I've worked on individualizing the techniques some, so it all doesn't look so run together.

As far as physicall, I feel stronger, and I owe that to the weight training regimen I've been doing since May.

Not too, bad. Hopefully in 2012, I can start putting some more together.

I think last year I just said to lose weight and get fitter. Didn't really lose the weight :roll: but I did do a bit of running and have noticed the difference.

This year I really want to improve on my flexibility because it sucks at the moment. I didn't really spend enough time working on it and maintaining what I had last year so that's what I want to do this year. As well as keep at the losing weight and getting fitter resolution from last year.

hmm these were mine.

The weight thing didn't work out so well :P But I'm going to pretend its muscle replacing fat.

Feel fitter and stronger and flexibility is better and am finding it easier to land the side kick face shots when I need to :D although I'd hoped for better improvement tbh. Just being really tentative with it as it was trying to force a stretch that ruined my flexibility in the first place.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Great thinking to bring this back up, quinteros1963! :)

Thanks! Its always good to follow up> :brow:

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Great thinking to bring this back up, quinteros1963! :)

Thanks! Its always good to follow up> :brow:

Yes it is. It helps me to make sure I'm being honest with myself, and keeping myself in check.