• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts Goals 2011

My martial arts resolution is to earn my red belt (3rd gup) during February, and learn the new curriculum at that level as proficiently as I can.

Joe, you're staring right at black belt, aren't you? Way to go my friend...way to hang in there!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My martial arts resolution is to earn my red belt (3rd gup) during February, and learn the new curriculum at that level as proficiently as I can.

Joe, you're staring right at black belt, aren't you? Way to go my friend...way to hang in there!

:)

Thanks, Bob, but I turned 59 on Monday the 3rd, so my plans are to concentrate on red belt for myself, while encouraging my boys, who are 9, to work towards black. They're my present rank, 4th gup, and enjoy karate, even though it's an extra challenge as special needs students, and have talked about becoming red belts next. I enjoy the father-sons connection, know that this physical activity is good for them, and look forward to Patrick and David passing me by as they climb up the belt chain. :)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

• 2 weeks later...

Training Goals Update.

Take downs: (judo) Last week 2 weeks I got to work more on my uchikomi's (entrances into take downs) I really wanted to focus on Kazushi (off balancing of partner) So I was working on those and just doing tons of reps. I worked on O'Soto Gari, and Ippon. moves felt smother to me, and my partner felt lighter, so I was doing them right. So I am happy towards progressing towards my end of year goals.

Jiu-Jitsu: I have been working on my guard, specifically transiting into diffrent guards instead of holding on well pass the point of no return. Today were doing alot of positional rolling, and I got to work my guard.

My partner was trying to pass, and I was to submit and sweep, and then start over. As I had standard guard, my partner got his grips on my knees and was starting to change his position so I transitioned into Spider Guard, (partial because I had his sleeve and a foot in his bicept) He was till coming around like he was going to pass my guard. So I was waiting for him to come around more so I can then load him up, and sweep him to the other side, he caught on went more squared with me. I transitioned into De la riva guard, and then as his posture was more bent more over then it should be, I loaded him up and dumped (sweeped) him over me.

I was really happy on the smoothness of the guard transitioning. The sweep was a plus, as I been working on my sweeps from guard more.

Over all I am happy about being on a path to complete my goals for this year.

How is every one else doing about accomplishing there goals? Are you on track? Or did you get distracted and need to re dedicate your self.

I've been to the gym twice already this week, and plan to get in tomorrow. Thursday I should make class. Steady workout regimine is the start.

• 2 weeks later...

The Christmas rush is officially over (I like to keep it going an extra month or so...I enjoy my food a tad too much. So, with that said, I'm have to make fighting weight - which is always fun this time of year. I have an MMA fight in April. I want to keep adapting all of the arts that I train in to fit my body and my style, and eventually have a "system" of moves and counter moves from every position possible. And as far as the "traditional art" that I practice, my goals involving expanding my knowledge base and pushing myself and the art into new territories.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

was not to obtain black belt but i'm almost near it and i work real hard and practice daily. goal when i started karate was to spend time w/ my daughter who was also in it but she lost interest. Now my main goal is to become strong so that i may beat ms. so far i have muscle definition now which i didnt, i am most fit i ever been. i grow stronger daily and multiple sclerosis wont win i will.

Main goal to feel confident that i can protect myself.

• 1 month later...

Training update. Well Judo class got canceled and the judo instructor moved on some where else. It was definetly a bummer for me. I did get a private with one of the BJJ black belts at the gym that had a good variation on Ippon that I got to work on, as well as he has a very good tomoe nagi take down and variation of it as well. So I drilled that and feel better on doing that take down or at least the mechanics of it.

As for BJJ training I worked a few sweeps I been wanting to drill, over head sweep when partner stands up, and an open guard, over head sweep when a person incorrectly drives the knee over the leg. I also worked on improved my 93 guard which really helped my sweeping ablility from that position.

also in the private lesson I worked on my guard control, and repostioning. Specifically from De La riva guard and Spider guard. I hang out to much in the guard, and I need to be more active moving and breaking and controling the grips I have on the sleeves. After the private I feel better on my understanding of those two guards, and my ability to stay in control.

My instructor wants to see more attacks from guard, as opposed to me playing a defensive guard or always playing "catch up" I feel like I am on tracking heading towards that goal, as well as onto my new years goal.

How's every one else staying on track?

So far so good. Met two, won a first in the IBJJF winter open absoulute division for my rank/age. I didn't even have to cut weight.

Now, a couple of more tournies and a takedown and it'll be a pretty successful year.