• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martial Arts Goals 2011

I thought it'd be interesting to see how many of us stuck to these goals and see if anyone has any for 2011.

This was mine:

Well, considering I just restarted karate a week and a half ago and have only been to two classes (we're closed for the holidays until next Tuesday), I guess my goal will be to still be with it at the end of the year. It'd also be nice to try to make it to blue belt. I think that's realistic-- get back up to yellow (which is the fourth belt at my school) and move up one more. Shouldn't be too bad for a year. But if I don't get there, no big deal. The main thing is that I stick with it.

So it's a year later and I am still sticking with it, although where I'm living right now means I only get to go to classes in the summer and I got in one training session while home for Christmas, but I practice my butt off on my own. And I actually exceeded my goal for my belt. Not only did I get to blue belt, but I got my green belt last week-- one higher. :-)

For 2011-- Again, I want to still be sticking with it this time next year, even if it is mostly practice by myself with classes only when I'm home. I also want to learn a bit more Aikido. I'm joining in with the middle school elective class once a week and hopefully I can keep that up, but I'd like to work with my friend, who teaches that class, a few times on our own without the 12 year olds. :-) My main goal with that is to learn to be a good uke. It's fun to learn how to put someone on the ground, but I really need to learn to not be afraid of being put on the ground myself. As for my belt-- it would be nice to be a brown belt by 2012, but with the low frequency of my attending class, I can't really see it happening, so I won't make a hard and fast goal out of it, it'll just be my moon to shoot for (you know the cliche-- even if I miss, hopefully I'll land among the stars).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave this post it's own thread because it was such a good idea last year, I thought it'd be useful again this year.

Last year I wanted to continue with my BJJ. I did. Making it almost the sole focus of my martial arts training and competing twice.

2011-

Compete at least three times. One of which I want to be the IBJJF in Chicago.

Focus on hitting takedowns to start matches off

Win one of said tournies in my division. I've come in 2nd twice. We'll see.

Lastly, watch my diet better so I'm not cutting 15 lbs prior to a competition.

Earn some kind of rank in Shorin-Ryu (my Sensei lets me wear my brown belt from Shuri-Ryu since I don't have any other belts but he hasn't actually tested me for any rank in Shorin-Ryu) and start going to sparring classes more often. I'm really not all that big on sparring, usually, but it's important and I know I need to do it more than I currently do. Other than those two things my goal is just to keep training, learning, developing and getting better

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

My immediate goal at the moment is to earn my 1st gup red belt. I've been told that I'm testing this month, but I've had a set back by being sick the past several weeks, so I need to build up my stamina and get back into practice before I can hope to test.

I also want to:

Practice more and more consistently at home

Get better at doing pushups

Train for and enter a tournament later this year

Get in better shape

Get ready for my black belt test, whenever that may be. Could be 2012 before I'm ready for that though

1st gup red belt - TKD

Stay healthy enough to continue to train.

I'm looking to add some ground fighting.

Want to spar more, perhaps spend some time boxing.

Help instruct at my dojo.

Compete in 6 or more tournaments (hopefully win or place in them).

Make 1st kyu.

Improve defense, combinations,flexibility, power, speed and accuracy.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

My main goal for 2011 is to survive my left hip replacement surgery, scheduled for January 18th, and rehab from same. Pass next two kobudo ranks (I am currently 1st kyu karatedo and 2nd kyu kobudo) so that I will be eligible to test for shodan-ho in karatedo in March of 2012. But mainly, recover from the surgery with no lasting problems, and see a big improvement in flexibility and ROM.

For me the main goal is to actually train. I come from a 5 years break and it's not that easy. Not to mention we're also doing some traveling and this hinders my MA training. I will do my best to train though and keep working on my long lost stamina and technique. Will take baby-steps, nothing else I can do.

I wish you all a great 2011 and may all your resolutions come true ;)