• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello fellow martial artists! :)

I thought I'd share my recent experience.

I just started Judo last week on Tuesday. I've had 4 practices so far. Overall, my instructor has had lots of experience. I can't comment on his instruction because I haven't been around long enough but he seems great so far. He does a lot of camps and traveling the world.

I started with TaeKwonDo years ago. I don't mean this in a negative way (it's actually probably good) but that stuff was far far easier in my opinion. Judo is much more of a human chess match. I have to say that I really really suck at Judo so far. I know it's been a short time, but I am picking things up at a super slow pace.

The assistant instructor is somewhere in his 50's. I find him to be unnecessarily rough. Apparently he does this with everybody but does it seem right for a black belt to almost choke the new guy unconscious? Learning to do this choke and he decides to demonstrate but goes in right for the choke without holding back. Not exactly fun considering I had no idea it was coming.

Anyway, I find the challenge to be rewarding overall and I think I'll enjoy it. Here's my big question...any recommendations on home practice? Physical conditioning is not an issue as I've done that for years. I don't have a mat convenient, but I'd like to hear some tips on speeding up the process. With TaeKwonDo, I could practice forms and kicks at home to better understand. With Judo, I'm not sure what to do. I did pick up an instructional book recently to look through the techniques to get a better understanding. That does help some.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello fellow martial artists! :)

I thought I'd share my recent experience.

I just started Judo last week on Tuesday. I've had 4 practices so far. Overall, my instructor has had lots of experience. I can't comment on his instruction because I haven't been around long enough but he seems great so far. He does a lot of camps and traveling the world.

I started with TaeKwonDo years ago. I don't mean this in a negative way (it's actually probably good) but that stuff was far far easier in my opinion. Judo is much more of a human chess match. I have to say that I really really suck at Judo so far. I know it's been a short time, but I am picking things up at a super slow pace.

The assistant instructor is somewhere in his 50's. I find him to be unnecessarily rough. Apparently he does this with everybody but does it seem right for a black belt to almost choke the new guy unconscious? Learning to do this choke and he decides to demonstrate but goes in right for the choke without holding back. Not exactly fun considering I had no idea it was coming.

Anyway, I find the challenge to be rewarding overall and I think I'll enjoy it. Here's my big question...any recommendations on home practice? Physical conditioning is not an issue as I've done that for years. I don't have a mat convenient, but I'd like to hear some tips on speeding up the process. With TaeKwonDo, I could practice forms and kicks at home to better understand. With Judo, I'm not sure what to do. I did pick up an instructional book recently to look through the techniques to get a better understanding. That does help some.

Don't worry--about 4 years later I still suck at Judo :P. As far as the assistant instructor goes, just talk to the head instructor about your concerns.

For practicing at home, set out two pairs of shoes spaced out like someone's feet and practice stepping in for your throws. Your footwork will become fast and natural after doing this a few thousand times. You can also work your throws in the air or, if you have access to a pool, underwater. The underwater throws are good for mild resistance training and since it slows you down you get to feel where you need to make adjustments to your throws.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Learn the names of all the judo moves and what they represent. This will speed things up a lot.

Walking is a good overall exercise in balance and fitness that helps a lot in any sport, including judo. Obviously running is even better! Skipping rope and similar helps too. Lifting weights is very good stuff for judo. Practicing your old TKD skills is good too. Judo has a branch called "atemi" that is striking skills - now not really formally done, but it is part of the original system. It's basically the striking techniques of karate without the katas. Hitting bags is good.

If you have no equipment, then walking, running, pushups, striking the air.

The rope on the tree for throwing practice is good if you can manage to do it conveniently.

2010: Budokan Judo Senior (18yrs+) Champion. Budokan Masters Champion. 2009: Senior International Cup Judo Champion. Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2008: Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion.

• 2 months later...

Like Brickshooter said, tying a belt around a tree is a good way to practice. I used a bike tire tube. I agree that the instructor was a little too rough goin in and choking you like that. When you throw your first harai goshi you'll fall in love my man.

You must become more than just a man in the mind of your opponent. -Henri Ducard

Grappling styles are going to be more difficult than standup styles- this is because you not only have to learn how to move yourself, but also your opponent. Also, the ground game is not something that comes natrual to people. People are used to being on their feet, but not so much to learning how to fight on the ground.

As far as a jerk of an assistant instructor, I've come across some of them. If you're a strong athletic guy, perhaps they feel they have to "prove" their style to you. Otherwise he could simply be someone with a tremendous eego who wants you to think of him as some kind of "bad dude" you wouldnt want to mess with....

Another possible option, judo players have a reputation for using alot of strength. In this regard, they're not doing things because they're intentionally being mean, its just an answer to many of their problems. Cant finish that uchimata? Put more strength into it. Having trouble with that guard pass? Put more strength into it. In this regard, he may not be singling you out specifically as someone to choke the hell out of, but that could simply be the way he trains.