• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A question about testing procedures

What is the protocal for testing at your dojo? Are you invited to test or can you test when you think you are ready? Do you pay each time you are tested?

Im not trying to be judgmental but I'm suprised to see the posts about failed tests. In my dojo, your are invited to test when our Sensei knows you are ready. We have generally started to learn the requirements of the next belt above our upcomming test prior to testing.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We don't have tests. We get promoted when the instructor thinks we're ready. Usually we can tell we're getting close when he starts teaching us the first form for the next belt. After that he waits for a class when you put everything you've got into it and go above and beyond and he chooses that class to promote you, so you sort of have to realize yourself that you're ready and start making that outstanding effort during class (same way you'd put forth a bit of extra effort during a formal test) so that he realizes you really want it.

Our school is completely free, so we don't have any fees or anything. Most of the time we don't even have to pay for our own colored belts as long as we don't mind giving them back when we're done with them (and they have our size, of course, which is usually no problem for the kids but a big problem for the adults. Right now I'm wearing a belt a size too small because they didn't have my size, but it's a beautiful, well broken in belt and though part of me wants to order one that fits online, the other part of me wants to put up with a slightly short belt for the awesome feeling of wearing one that's dirty and worn out and even starting to show white in some parts even though I've only been this rank for a week. It's cool).

At my school, the test is viewed as the formality of something the Sensei and other instructors have already decided upon prior to the test. Prior to testing, a student will go through a "pre-test" in which they are graded on all the material they are supposed to know at their rank. The Sensei will tell them when they are eligible to take the pre-test. If they fail, they are given a report of all the areas they need to work on, and once they think they've learned the areas they failed then they can approach the Sensei and request to be pre-tested again, but they're only offered one chance a month. Once the pre-test has been passed, a test date is scheduled. For us, the test itself is primarily looked at a measure of how you can perform under pressure. If someone fails a test at our school, it's not because of lack of knowledge in the material because the pre-test ensures they know it, but because they gave up during the test.

There are test "recitals" every three months at my school. To participate in the recital costs $35 and that will include the cost of the new belt. You get to keep your old one.

We just had my first recital, and not everyone currently studying participated. For the two weeks or so before the test the senseis were giving us "mock tests", running us through everything that we'd be expected to perform. He told several of us that we had essentially already tested and would do fine on the official day.

I know of one green belt who did not feel ready to test (I think he had recently returned from a break in studying) so he did not participate in the recital. The black and brown belts have a different test day than the rest of us; their procedures may be different.

Some dojos have so much practitioners in all different ranks, that it is quite impossible for teacher/s to follow all of them. And it is good for one to be able to define his skills level by himself.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

I hold tests every 4 months in which students who are eligible (time in grade & classes) may request rank. If they pass they attend graduation where they perform a small section of curriculum for the Master Instructor. No one goes in front of him unless they will pass muster-otherwise I fail the test.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I've posted this before, but the way that I test is that my students know that they are being tested in literally EVERY class. They know better than to ask me to test because that tells me that they aren't ready yet mentally, not necessarily physically. I don't want students that are there for belts, but instead they are there for knowledge.

When I feel a students is ready to progress to that next belt level, I will ask them in class to do a certain thing or two (or more) that I know they have been struggling with. Whether that is a kata, or certain techniques. When I am satisfied they are where I want them to be for a certain belt, I will award that belt to them at the end of the class.

I've never seen a point to many hours or days of testing someone. Either they know it, or they don't, and the instructor should be able to tell that on a daily basis in my opinion. To make someone stress over a test is idiotic in my opinion because EVERYBODY stresses if they know they are being tested, and I see no benefit of subjecting someone to that.

I want each of my students to work hard and do their best in each class. If I feel they aren't giving me 100%, then they don't advance. I'm well aware that 100% effort for an 18 year old is different that 100% effort from a 60 year old, and I adjust accordingly.

I've been testing this way since I started teaching my first class in 1978 and I like it. So do my students, because they know that if they don't work hard and make corrections accordingly, they won't advance.

I have one student, a 58 year old man, who's probably my hardest working student, but there are things that he just can't "get". Not physically, as he runs 5 miles several times/ week and can do more pushups than anybody else in the class (and they are PERFECT pushups!). Rather, he doesn't "get" some things in the realm of the concepts of the technique and kata.

He's been stuck in his last brown belt (just before black) for about 5 years now, and he's ok with it because he knows full well what he's lacking to get his shodan. He'll get it some day...just when, we're not sure yet.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Students earn stripes on their belts that indicate knowledge of different areas of the curriculum. When they have all of their stripes and a testing is being held then instructors will pre-test that student. If they pass the pre-testing then they are invited to take the formal test. Kids tests (Ages 3-7) and the first two tests of the regular curriculum are informal meaning that they are performed in class.

Students can earn stripes or be pre-tested by any black belt in the school, however for pre-testings in particular a head instructor usually asks/assigns a black belt to pre-test a student either during or before/after class.

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start. - Nido Qubein

I've posted this before, but the way that I test is that my students know that they are being tested in literally EVERY class. They know better than to ask me to test because that tells me that they aren't ready yet mentally, not necessarily physically. I don't want students that are there for belts, but instead they are there for knowledge.

When I feel a students is ready to progress to that next belt level, I will ask them in class to do a certain thing or two (or more) that I know they have been struggling with.

We all have things that challenge us-and most of my students get this idea of testing every class, individual challenges, effort is rewarded, etc. There are a few that don't and are surprised that they don't progress. It is not about the belts or the perceived status-it is about the depth of knowledge both physically and mentally.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

We are allowed to test twice per year. When testing comes up you are able to ask if you are able to test. You get a yes or a no, fill out the application, pay the fee and test.

Dan gradings are once per year when seniors are in town for seminars, or if you are willing to travel to seminars in other cities.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!