Does everyone hate their gi/dobok?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I ever disliked wearing my gi (black hapkido/karate type gi).

I guess my only problem is how I have to pull the material back down after raising my arms up (the belt keeps it from going back to where it should be).

And my sleeves don't stay rolled up, but that's just because it's a lightweight fabric. I'll get a heavyweight gi someday.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

Justb I have to agree with you about the length on the ProForce gi's. There pants fit me better than any other pants but I have to cut off a bit before I can even think about hemming them. I think there has only been one or two very tall guys in our dojo who have not had to hem them.

I have to admit if I don't need pockets I wear my extra black gi pants instead of jeans now without even thinking about it.

I prefer the 14oz heavy weight gi. It may be a little hotter in the summer but you actually stay cooler, it doesnt stick to you like the lighter ones, the sweat just rolls off of you and you get better ventilation. I get mine one size larger and altered by the tailor its much more comfortable and looks better.

It also feels like body armor and makes nice popping noises when you punch and kick... :D :D :D :D

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

We use the judo-style uniforms. I can't get that nice "pop" no matter what I try! I would agree that the heavier uniforms are nice - since our dojo has no heat or air conditioning "personal heat management" is always an issue.

The ones I use now have collars so thick I choke myself if I turn my head too far...You look like a turtle because the uniform barely moves until it is broken in. Ironing is fun. :)

Where does everyone get their uniforms from? Does your style mandate what type you have to wear? It doesn't sound like it for some people...

Thanks

B

https://www.seishinkan.com

https://www.sakura-0.com