• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does everyone hate their gi/dobok?

[color=indigo]Hey, karatekid - here's a lengthy thread on that particular topic: http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1611&highlight=deal+month

It kinda fell apart at the end :lol: but was pretty serious for a while...and luckily that has never happened to me![/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a problem with my gi, but I bought a second one after getting tired of washing the one three times a week. Same brand and size but somehow it doesn't fit right, the jacket rides up when I raise my arms and the pants are all weird, sometimes I feel like I waste a quarter of my training time trying to tug everything into place. Next time I have some extra cash I was thinking about getting one of those Satori gis someone posted about here, the extra gusseting sounds great. I always take my gis in to get the sleeves and legs hemmed up so I don't have to roll them up, by the way. And I never thought of buttons on the jacket, mine hangs wide open quite often so I just always wear a sports bra.

ummm, well, I don't own Gi. But i have worn them before, I don't care for them, and i would never train in one. I usually just train in sweats or a t-shirt, and sometimes street clothes too. but mostly just sweats. I don't feel that Gi's should be used in training, actuall street clothes are not as tough, or rigid as Gi's they're not made to be grabbed and used to throw people, they don't have extra room in the stride sewn into them, or extra stitching to make them tougher. Grabbing a Gi and throwing some one by their Gi, is far easier that grabbing someone by their t-shirt and trying to throw them...quite simply it just tears. Gi's train and condition you to execute your techniques in a uniform made for fighting, in a dojo this is ideal, all your classmates are wearing them. This however is not true for a street fight, people don't don't go around wearing Gi's or clothing designed for fighting. Quite simply Gi's make it easier to control you opponent by their clothing, and people are taught their techniques against an opponent wearing a Gi. This is misleading, and will prepare you to execute your techniques with effeicieny only against an opponent who is wearing one. This is very dangerous for a martial artist. Anyhow, hope this helps.

Understand this, a man without honor, is not a man at all, but a coward in disquise.

Animis Opibusque Parati

Don't you go through an awful lot of t-shirts if you tear them every time you practice a throw?? I understand why it would be good to train in street clothes now and again for the reasons you outlined, but it seems kind of impractical on a regular basis.

I also would not call it very dangerous all the throws can be applyed to fit the human body...ie rather then grabing a shirt you grab their neck

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I don't mind my gi getting dirty, and since I wear a black one you can't tell anyway. I usually stick to the 10 oz. cotton for the summer, and 12oz. for the winter. Plus I like when my gi starts to fade to that gray look. :D :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia