• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does everyone hate their gi/dobok?

Okay.. Here's a question. Does everyone/anyone in here hate wearing those ugly white uniforms? I know it's tradition and all, but I HATE it! It looks bad on Everyone Plus, it makes me look fatter then I am...

So, who here hates wearing them?

It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, for the most essential things are invisible to the eye.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't hate it, I look pretty good it in and I like the fact that it makes me look bigger because well lets just say I am not the most intimadating person out there. I suppose when I first started I didn't like the idea of a uniform but now I have no problem with it. I have participated in a few special classes where we had to wear street clothes (to make the self defenses more pratical) and it felt really really weird. the only problem I have with my white gi is that I have to wash it every second day because it gets completely filthy with sweat, the blood and sweat stains really stand out on a white gi

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

I think white looks good but I make my students order black ONLY because they don't show dirt and last longer for that reason.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I don't mind wearing a dogi. Actually I quite like it.

Also it's better than wrecking my street clothes, which are generally more expensive than a cheap/normal gi.

Nothing would make me look fat. I still keep my inverted triangle torso with the gi on.

I wouldn't mind a slightly longer top though. I can see that the more expensive gis would be better fit and more comfortable.

KarateForums.com - Sempai

Well i think that even if you dont like the way your dogi\gi\tunick\uniform whatever you would like to call it, no mater what it looks like fells like etc you should still wear it with pride and respect what it stands for :karate:

oh and by the way i like have two custom made uniforms one white and one blue and i like them both.

Pain is just an excuse to stop made by your mind

[color=indigo]I like the white uniform for tae kwon do, except for the frequent washing. It shows blood/sweat a little too much. In BJJ, I wear a gold weave Atama in blue, it looks really cool :) Some of my training partners are jealous...[/color]

:kiss:

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

I agree with 360. I like the Tae Kwon Do dobak, because of the Pull-over top (most girls do, so they don't end up "flashing" someone if their top came open :D ) The only thing I don't like is my school's choice of brands. My school uses centery uniforms, and mine shrank. I look like a dork with short pants and sleeves. So I where my old dobak pants (from my old school uniform) and roll up the sleeves. I ordered a more expensive one through the school. It might be more expensive, but I heard they last, so it'll be worth it.

I also have the traditional dobak from my TSD training. Also white. That one is a Pro Force brand. They are nice, as far as washing. You can chuck them in the wash and dryer, and they don't wrinkle :D

As far as getting them dirty, if ya don't get dirty during training (sweet, dirt, ect) you're not training hard enough :P :wink: Besides, that's why washers were invented :D

Laurie F