• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bataireacht - Irish Stick Fighting

*First off, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I didn't know where else to put this one...*

Hi everyone,

Recently I've come across an Irish Martial art called Bataireacht, a form of stick fighting. I watched a video of it (

) and it reminds me of kali a little bit. But anyway, here's why I'm interested.

Right now I'm a BJJ and Shaolin Kempo student, but I would also like to get into some weapons training. They do offer Ignacio Kali at my school, but after seeing this I think I would prefer it. I'm Irish, and unfortunately where I live there is a very small Irish population. The only cultural center we really have here is a small shop downtown, run by an Irish woman where we organize events and meetings. We have to teach ourselves how to speak Irish.

So clearly, I'm not going to find a Bataireacht school anywhere nearby. Do you think it would be worth it to try learning by books, or online lessons? Does anyone have experience with this art? Any information would be appreciated, thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honestly if you have kali available to you, take the class. There is no substitute for hands-on drilling and sparring. If you can find material on the Irish art, try incorporating it into the kali stuff. The kali class will provide you with a training partner. Trying to learn an art from a book will leave you much of the time trying to figure things out on your own. Imagine BJJ without someone to roll with.

Also the way the guy in the video was using the stick gripping the center does not make scientific sense. Power is equal to mass times velocity. The center grip decreases the mass being swung from the fulcrum and the end of the stick travels a shorter distance which lowers the velocity of the striking end.

Any stick fighting system will develop skills that translate to another, so I say take kali lessons and research the Irish system.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I agree with the above posts--start training kali. The two arts are likely going to be quite similar as far as the basic techniques and methods go, it will probably be more advanced concepts that differ. Get a good grounding in kali and then study up on the Irish stickfighting as much as you can and see if anything you read/watch can be incorporated into what you already know from kali. I could be wrong but I believe that Bataireacht is a reconstructed art that was mostly lost to time, anyway, so much of what a class in it would teach is probably largely pulled from kali anyway.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Actually, holding the stick in the middle makes a lot of sense if you use it for grappling. It's not always an analog for a bladed weapon, and it doesn't have to be just a club.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

Actually, holding the stick in the middle makes a lot of sense if you use it for grappling. It's not always an analog for a bladed weapon, and it doesn't have to be just a club.

I think you just gave me an idea to experiment with.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

It looks like a hybrid of jo and and kali. Interesting. I'd like to learn more about its history and verify the validity of the system's irish roots.

Certainly, you should get hands on instruction if it's available. Kali is an effective art. Once you get a handle on that and understand its principles you'll be able to go back and get reference materials to supplement the training you already have.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I just wanted to say that it was very cool to be browsing the karate forums and discover an Irish word. Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge agus is maith liom beith ag léamh as Gaeilge. :D

Never came across Bataireacht in my language studies, though. I wonder if it's got any connection with the use of sticks in mock fighting movements during English Morris dancing.

You will find that many weapons styles have some crossover, even across cultural boundaries. With that said, I would go with the kali class, and after gaining experience there, use that experience to experiment with the Irish stick art. I think you will find this works better for you.