• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Does WTF TKD preserve ALL the Shotokan Techniques???

I've learned and drill the following Shotokan Kata several times daily:

• Taikyoku

Heian

Bassai

Kwanku

Tekki Shodan

Jion

I've started to learn the WTF TKD poomse now without having finished learning all the Shotokan katas. I'm worried that I'll be missing out on some good Shotokan stuff. But, I'm hoping that the TKD poomse end up containing all the Shotokan techniques in one way or other. If my hope is right, then I have nothing to worry about.

2010: Budokan Judo Senior (18yrs+) Champion. Budokan Masters Champion. 2009: Senior International Cup Judo Champion. Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2008: Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Taeguek and Palgwe Poomse contain similar patterns, techniques, and concepts. I found them easy to pick up after studying the Heians for many years.....in either style, poomse/kata are just the basics!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

What comes after them then? 90% of the stuff is too dangerous to use in sparring, right?

2010: Budokan Judo Senior (18yrs+) Champion. Budokan Masters Champion. 2009: Senior International Cup Judo Champion. Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2008: Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion.

• 3 weeks later...

Learning TKD will likely help you learn most of what techniques are done in Shotokan. Learning the applications of Shotokan, however, will likely only take place in Shotokan.

• 1 month later...

I have done ITF'ish tkd for a while and right now doing both wtf tkd and shotokan. If you are afraid of missing a few techniques from shotokan, there is really nothing to worry about because many of shotokan and tkd techniques are essientially the same with a few differences in the covers and the way they use their stances but the applications are quite different. Shotokan focuses on lower stance and the front stance because of its focus on punching rather then tkd focus on kicking. Though the techniques are the same if not similar the strategies and applications are quite different.

• 2 months later...

i have never seen someone who's been trained primarily in TKD be able to perform shotokan techniques at the same level as a shotokan practitioner. Same goes for someone in shotokan being able to perform TKD techniques the same. They may look the same, but they certainly aren't being trained the same.

First off i can not speculate on the other forms but hinan were not shotokan forums they were added after he invented his style. they are barrowd and were added by a man named Anko Itosu than to shotokan by Funakoshi. What i do know is not amount of tkd will show you the shotokan application of the technique or vice versa. I take tang soo do and we also do the form but it lokkes nothing like eather styles version of the form. you should lear your styles version of the form and learn how to apply it to your art not try and bend it to something it is not

Its going to depend on the mechanical breakdown of the techniques. ITF TKD doesn't usually match up with Shotokan technique, due to the sine wave motion. But, some TKD schools focus more on using the hips to generate power, much like Shotokan.

I will add this: in my years in TKD, I have never seen the side snap kick. So I'd say that's one Shotokan technique not preserved in TKD.