• advertisement_alt

The New Karate Kid Movie

New Karate Kid Movie?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. New Karate Kid Movie?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Undecided

Though I can't say I've seen it. The New karate kid movie seems to have created quite a stir, and more kids then ever are signing up for what they believe karate is. Here's the problem-correct me if I'm wrong-the movie takes place in China. I know karate such as Goju-ryu and Shorin-ryu came from JAPAN. I think whats happing in the movie is Kung-fu or Wushu? I'm not sure because I don't know much about Chinese Martial Arts could someone enlighten me on the subject?

Being a Goju-ryu partitioner--the original movie(s) had Goju techniques and will most likely be the true karate kid movies to me. How does the rest of the karate community feel about being possibly mis-represented in this movie? How do you think this is going to affect the martial arts world? Again, I haven't seen it but this is the vibe I've gotten from articles and previews.

-----------------------

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu

Mia

Nidan (2nd degree blackbelt)

--------------------

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu

Mia

Nidan (2nd degree blackbelt)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think we had another topic like this right when the movie came out. They do talk in the movie about how what they're doing is Kung Fu and not Karate. I like the originals better, though. The sheer simplicity of what Mr. Miyagi taught is, to me, a million times cooler than any standing-back-flip-over-your-opponent's-head kick. And no offense to Jackie Chan, but to prove himself Mr. Miyagi beat up half a dozen 17 to 18-year-olds twice his size. Mr. Han beat up half a dozen short little 12-year-olds. Not exactly as impressive...

But I will say I still like the movie in it's own regard. Compared to the original, though, it's no contest.

Rent it and enjoy it, ichigotora. The name The Karate Kid was just for promotional purposes, especially since you'll find similarities with the original.

She doesn't know it now, but our (for my boys and me) teacher will be receiving a copy from us as a Xmas present, and we study a Korean art, Soo Bahk Do. (Last year it was Kung Fu Panda--and another Kung Fu Panda is coming out in 2011.)

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

While the similarities between the original and the new one are quite evident and apparent; my family and I truly enjoyed the new Karate Kid.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I really enjoyed it as did my students-we saw it together and had a lot to talk about afterwards regrading the martial arts and the messages.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

i think i wrote the original post about the filming in the far east the film was translated to the kung fu kid but the uk and other countries it was given the arate kid to try and get an interest from the original titles,

as i see the film on its own merits it was a decent film ,but to much wire work in the fighting scences,as id already commented people are going to join a dojo and except themselfves to be doing spinning flips after 3 weeks ,comparing to the originals it doesnt get anywhere near the atmosphere of them,but i did like some of the similarites of the originals(the catching of the fly with chopsticks,jackie gave up and used a fly squater lol,wax on wax off(jacket on jacket off)the list goes on

I was VERY pleasantly surprised. The original movie is what got me started in martial arts. I love it and believe it to be a masterpiece not only for martial artists, but also a great coming of age movie in its own right. I felt that Chan and Smith did a phenomenal job with the movie. Much of it was directly taken from the original. There's a very funny line in the movie that makes reference to the Karate/Kung Fu thing.

As another point of note: Lupin1 made reference to Chan beating up a few 12 year olds. I think it's more pertinent to state that he DID NOT beat them up, rather halted their advances. He did not strike the children.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I saw the tail end of the movie, and I didn't really know what to think about the way the kids were really beating the crap out of each other. I know it was just a movie and all that, but I don't know if I'd want my 5 year old to watch it. I'm not sure what audience they were shooting for, either. Maybe I need to watch the whole movie, too.