• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do I get out of that?

At a seminar:

student: How do I stop the guillotine?

David Adiv: Stop starring at the ground bro!

Another Seminar:

student: How do I get out of the rear naked choke?

Pedro Sauer: My friend, have you tried tapping? You're question is like asking me how to defend a punch...when the fist is already hitting you in the nose. You need to react sooner!

Best answers ever.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At a seminar:

Another Seminar:

Pedro Sauer: My friend, have you tried tapping? You're question is like asking me how to defend a punch...when the fist is already hitting you in the nose. You need to react sooner!

Best answers ever.

:lol:

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

"How do I get out of that?"

Sometimes you can't, no matter what!! What happens after that? I suppose that that will be left up to your attacker.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

At a seminar:

Another Seminar:

Best answers ever.

:lol: I like this.

I find it hard to budge from a very heavy opponent when they have achieved top control.. mostly side control. With the lighter guys I can escape there mount and side control easier but there are times when even a same sized, same weight opponent give you trouble. Overall the best advice is to avoid being there in the first place, but when all else fails train some defensive techniques over and over.

Replace guard and escape to knees are the first to escapes and preventative techniques you learn from side control. The gross movement and muscle memory are developed on a daily basis in drills. Ten years later I am still perfecting this. Once you can transition with a high level player on top of you regardless of size I'd say you have a grasp of the basics. Ten years and I feel I am finally getting a grasp of the basics.

After years of drilling escapes in mma clubs and being less than successful with it, my current BJJJ coach summed it up very well for me:

If the guy is good enough to put you in that spot, what chance do you really thing you have at escaping it once it's all the way on.

Now, it doesn't mean that we ignore escapes, it just means that you have to look at it realistically. This was a big moment for me. And knind of a "duh" thing once he said it. Get better at your game and don't end up there.

I see way too many guys worrying far too much about "getting out" of this or that. Keep rolling, drill technique and learn to maximize position. That's been far more bbenifical to me than endless reps of "escapes".

Escapes really occur before any positive position is gained by your opponant. Not after you're going to sleep due to a rear naked choke.

• 2 weeks later...
This is the most common question asked when teaching beginners anything. So I will answer this question for all my friends here at KF. As a student I heard this asked many, many times and the words echo in my mind.

"Don't be there."

You must have went to a Royler Seminar. :P

• 1 month later...

As I face bigger and bigger opponents, It gets harder to get out of there control but once you start working your way out of it and find ways out of it.. All the time spent in side control, mount, or back control pays off. It's all a learning experience nothing wrong with being caught in a bad position as long as you learn from it.