• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you'll be there anyway. :)

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

I think what JJN is alluding to is that it is much easier to prevent the bad position occuring than escaping it.

From my limited knowledge base I see it the following way. Most if not all positions can be escaped from. However like deadly alliance pointed out it gets harder and harder the further on they are to submiting you due to attributes, better leverage etc.

Little things like keeping your elbows in tight can prevent you having to do a more complicated and difficult escape.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

My instructor teaches us the same thing only in Isshinryu, which is why his (and my) favorite defense is to shift away sideways to the punch before blocking, so even if your block is no good, you're not there for the punch to hit.

I thought he got it from The Karate Kid II.

In a situation where your opponent is heavier than you, wouldn't that be a factor that can lead you into being in a bad position.

Weight can tip the scales. I have a training partner who is 55 or so pounds heavier then me, about 265 or 270. He is also freakishly strong for HIS size. It makes things very difficult. My whole strategy is to be faster than him and create good angles to defend my guard. Once he is past I am almost certainly submitted. It's like having a moving statues on you. He just has zero give and basically I feel like a child. Every decision is crucial. His best friend is slightly lighter and not as stronger but still way stronger and heavier than I. These are my favorite training partners.

I think what JJN is alluding to is that it is much easier to prevent the bad position occuring than escaping it.

From my limited knowledge base I see it the following way. Most if not all positions can be escaped from. However like deadly alliance pointed out it gets harder and harder the further on they are to submiting you due to attributes, better leverage etc.

Little things like keeping your elbows in tight can prevent you having to do a more complicated and difficult escape.

All very true. For example we are taught to replace guard from side control. However the best time to use this technique is not once they have side control but instead as they are in the transition to side control. When you move I move(If I'm the one a step behind).