• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What to learn first?

Certainly, you'll probably learn both at the same time. Things are just structured that way, and to achieve any sort of equatable skill, you might as well start drilling both early.

That being said, as JJN alluded to, in any free form training, expect to be defensive when you start. It's just part of the game, but it'll get better.

However, you'll need to be developing both sets of tools as you go.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In grappling, I would say defence first. But it's not all true, since it's propably impossible not to lose if one doesn't have his own goal (the attact). In stand up fighting it's quite same. In a fight, no matter a competition or a streetfight, the defence is the main thing. Of course there's exceptions.

Which one should be taught first.. depends completely of the teacher's outlook. You definitely can't attact well without defence. There might be a style where learning to defend helps learning to attact, but I bet in most styles they both support each other.

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins

Great question!

It's quite possible that we'll evenly pick either offense or defense. This, imho, is more than likely because of a personal preference more than what a style dictates to its practitioners across the board.

Both, offense and defense are critically vital across the board because one can't live without the other for long. Offense will need to depend on defense for one reason or another, and vice versa for the defense.

Shindokan teaches us that a well placed defense/block/deflection can stop an attack. Therefore, per Shindokan through our Tuite; our offense IS our defense and vice versa.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I was told "First you learn how to tap, then you learn how to make tap."

This doesn't really refer to the curriculum, but more so the process during the first year of rolling.

Is this is for safety reason since BJJ involves immediate physical contact with a partner?

If you teach students first with attacks, I could see students injuring their training partners because they haven't learned the limits of the human joints.

I notice that more experienced players often easing up on partners even before they tap. They tend to ease into a lock rather than snap into it with full force.

This quote from Shi Yan Ming is interesting:

I do not teach my students to block. They just practice punching because . . . the best defense is offense. When Shaolin students practice their punches, they start with both fists in front of their cheeks but slightly to the side. As one fist moves forward, the other remains stationary to defend the face and chest. Then the most important concept comes into play: As the second fist strikes, the first fist must move backward simultaneously and in perfect harmony. Thus, the block and the punch are always there and always not there, for they are one. That is the true meaning of timing.

It come from Black Belt:

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/learn-shaolin-strikes-with-superhumans-star-shi-yan-ming/archives/923

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

I was told "First you learn how to tap, then you learn how to make tap."

This doesn't really refer to the curriculum, but more so the process during the first year of rolling.

Is this is for safety reason since BJJ involves immediate physical contact with a partner?

If you teach students first with attacks, I could see students injuring their training partners because they haven't learned the limits of the human joints.

I notice that more experienced players often easing up on partners even before they tap. They tend to ease into a lock rather than snap into it with full force.

It has more to do with live training. An example would be a student looking over at me once class is done and it's time to roll and asking "What does he need to work on?" (referring to a beginner) My answer is "he needs to learn how to tap." So you work on whatever you want to and hunt the submissions you want work and make them tap a lot. There is a world to be learned from this process. A new student will learn transitions, positions and submissions and is free to apply them during live training. But the natural process is to at first be tapped a lot! So many things are learned in those precious minutes on the mat.

Professor Pedro Sauer says it better than I.

I certainly agree with everyones response. A little of both, offense and defense is needed when first starting out. Learning ukemi or falling techniques along with some basic strikes will keep u balanced. Stick with it :)

The key to immorality is first living a life worth remembering

• 2 weeks later...
I say learn the basics no matter if it is attacking or defending. If your basics are not up to par then everything else won't be as well.
I don't disagree with you, but van you be more specific as to which basics? Do you mean a punch and a shell defense, or the standard basics of a traditional style?