• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate In the Movies....

Godzilla-San

Speaking specifically about the Karate Kid trillogies (the originals), what style of Karate is closest to what the characters are doing in the films? Now, I realize that they are in fact actors and stunt men, but I am sure somone had to write in the sequences, so, did they base them on any specific style? Or, is it just Hollywood "dancing"??

I remember watching the movies as a kid, thinking how amazing everthing was. Even though I just recently started classes as an adult, I can already see that the movie is just that, a movie. I do however, have a new respect for it!

thanks!

"You Karate do yes, or Karate do no...You Karate do "guess so", Squish, just like grape."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Speaking specifically about the Karate Kid trillogies (the originals), what style of Karate is closest to what the characters are doing in the films? Now, I realize that they are in fact actors and stunt men, but I am sure somone had to write in the sequences, so, did they base them on any specific style? Or, is it just Hollywood "dancing"??

I remember watching the movies as a kid, thinking how amazing everthing was. Even though I just recently started classes as an adult, I can already see that the movie is just that, a movie. I do however, have a new respect for it!

thanks!

Probably some shito ryu in there... because of Fumio Demura.

The type of karate in most movies is whatever type the actor knows. All of the action stars have learned their fighting skills independently just like any of us. The actor will have most of the control in directing each fight sequence. If you look up any action star you like, you can find out what style MA they've trained in.

Fighting talents are a good part of an actors resume. Think about Steven Segal, Patrick Swayze or Chuck Norris. All great karate guys with successful acting careers. Matt Damon and Keanue Reeves are younger examples.

Edited by rmurray

Unending Love,

Amazing Grace

The Go-T mustasched hot headed villian is a Shotokan practicioner.

The baby face good guy looked like a Goju practioner.

The high kicking fighter who fought the Go-T villian looked like Kyokushin.

huh?

huh?

Woops sorry.

Someone else posted a video to some karate movie and I was commenting on the previews.

This should teach you a fine lessson. Do not break boards with your head when you're young because it'll eventually catch up to you!

I think I read somewhere that based on the style and the Miyagi history, the closest style is Goju-ryu.

I believe this is true. In Goju-ryu we have that 'crane head' block. and what they called 'wax on/off' we call kake Uke (wrist hook block). Crane Stance of course and Jumping Front-kick. Drum Technique we have in one of our kata's. O-Sensei Chojin Miyagi founded Goju-ryu karate-do in 1888. So though I can't say for certain that it is Goju-ryu is the style they are representing. I think the case is pretty good.

--------------------

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu

Mia

Nidan (2nd degree blackbelt)

Well, according to the special features on the dvd, none of the actors knew any karate before the filming of the movie (except maybe some cobra-kai kids did, they were a little foggy on that). The choreographer was Pat E. Johnson who trained American Tang Soo Do under Chuck Norris. He was the one who trained everyone for the film, including Pat Morita and Ralph Macchio. From my weak understanding of Korean martial arts I believe there is some sort of shotokan influence in Tang Soo Do, so maybe that accounts for the "shotokan-esque" nature of it that you guys were talking about?

Now, dvd special features info aside, Pat Morita's stunt double was Fumio Demura who is a Shitoryu; and kobudo master. So that accounts for the more traditional Okinawan karate moments spliced in the movie, especially when seen from afar (Miyagi on a post doing waza, Miyagi taking down skeleton-clad cobra-kai, etc.).

As for the Crane kick, that was added by the writer, Robert Mark Kamen, who studied some form of undisclosed ryu of American Karate then a more traditional type. Maybe it could have been Goju, who knows? I sadly wasn't able to rustle up that info. Although as ichigotora pointed out, that would tie in with the fact that "Miyagi" is the surname of Chōjun Miyagi, the founder of Goju-ryu. Also supporting ichigotora's suspicion is the "kara-te" point. I have heard some people credit Chōjun Miyagi as being the single person to change kanji of karate from "Chinese hand" to "empty hand." In one of the films Mr. Miyagi makes reference to his ancestor being the man to make this historic kanji switch, so that makes me think pretty sure that the goju thing is not a coincidence.

So basically, I'd say:

story = Gojuryu

choreography = Tang Soo Do (Shotokan-esque looking)

Mr. Miyagi's stunts = Shitoryu

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

huh?

Woops sorry.

Someone else posted a video to some karate movie and I was commenting on the previews.

This should teach you a fine lessson. Do not break boards with your head when you're young because it'll eventually catch up to you!

:lol: Sorry. That one made me laugh out loud! :D