• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello....New here

Godzilla-San

Hi there.

Great site. I am new to Karate also. My wife took me to one of her classes and I got hooked. I can't wait for the next class! (Uechi-Ryu)

Starting kinda late in life, I am 37, but in good phyical condition.

What one thing would you advise me?

I look forward to learning alot and getting better :-)

Thank You!

"You Karate do yes, or Karate do no...You Karate do "guess so", Squish, just like grape."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Never too late to start!

My best bit of advice is to practice a lot and to make sure to get technique right before applying power.

I'm in my mid thirties and really have felt the benefit recently (especially in terms of joint health) of making sure I practice my kick technique

I started Shotokan karate in March of this year, again at 37 years of age.

I just wish I had found it earlier. I feel I just can't train enough!

I've now just turned 38, attained the grade of 6th Kyu and am looking towards a tournament next March as I feel I hold my own when sparing against varying ages and ranks so why not?

Hi. I just restarted karate a year ago next week (has it been that long already?) and I'm a 5th kyu in Isshinryu. I'm only 23, so I can't comment too much on the age thing, but I would tell you to have fun with it. If it's not fun, what's the point?

One of the people I look up to started when he was 50. Got his black belt at 55. He had to quit because of some problems with his nerves. He can still do more jackknife situps than some of the teenagers at the gym that have 6 pack abs. And he is 77 now.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Hi Godzilla-san

Finally another Uechi ryu practitioner! I also study in MA, if you don't mind me asking where do you study? My suggestion would be keep an open mind in your training. There is a saying in Uechi that you'll hear a lot and that is "All is in Sanchin". Well I would say everything maybe in Sanchin but Sanchin isn't everything.