• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WTF or ITF, What's the differences?

It's difficult to figure out what they "really" learned due to a lot of false claims, denial on the part of the Japanese, and revisions made to their martial arts history along the way. Good luck sifting through that. You might just have a PhD project on your hands if you could.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the links. According to the Stanford one, which is a translation from a Korean book, all the founders were Shotokan guys, except one guy ALSO had learned a Chinese martial art of some kind, and one other guy ALSO taught judo.

So, it's basically a development of Shotokan.

Yeah, that's pretty much the case. You can even see it in the similarities in the techniques. The big difference you find is in the sine wave movement of the ITF styles, but all in all, the techniques aren't much different.

• 1 month later...

I find that to be very true after I started taking Shotokan. There are only a few minor differences in the way they use stances and their covers but they have all of the kicks that are in tkd. Sometime I see the guys doing like spin kicks and hook kicks and we compare. There are even a few kata(forms) that look similar. The tekki katas and poen are quite similar.