• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Isshinryu in the Rochester area

isshinryu607

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello!

Do you mean Rochester New York? Check RIT's phsyical education classes. If the instructor for karate is still listed with the name Kim Murray then that is Isshin Ryu style. I trained under Sensai Kim for six months while a student there and he is a very good teacher - but I don't know if he is still teaching now.

Edited to add: Looks like he is still on the schedule! https://register.rit.edu/courseSchedule/20102/11/13/

Also he's got a website showing his training locations: http://www.mmac.us/locations.html

Hello! I have looked at Sensei Murray's website quite a few different times. I have thought about SUNY Brockport, he has a location there, but I am also considering University of Rochester. He seems like a good instructor to train under. I would like to know more about the school though, which I might visit one of the schools while on a college visit.

I think a couple of friends of mine went to SUNY Brockport; if you have any specific questions about the university I can pass them along and give them your email address or something. They didn't do Karate though. I don't know anything about U of Rochester except that they liked to set off our fire alarms at RIT :roll:

Hello, I am looking to go to college in the Rochester area and I want to find an Isshinryu dojo to train at. I see there is quite a selection in the area.

My question is: Is anyone familiar with any of the dojos? Thank you!

I do not know if you have found a school yet. I also don't know Master Kim, but I do know Hanshi Chris... Chase he is the President of the OIKKA. He knows his stuff and seems to be a good guy.

I would recommend to anyone looking for a new school to look around. don't just stop after the first school.

Scottie

Thank you. I have not found a school yet. Far from it. Right now I'm just trying to see what my best options are. I'm looking for a good traditional school that is not just a "black belt factory", ya know what I'm saying?

I do know what you mean! Trust me Master Chase is not a Black Belt factory. His website is http://chasekarate.com you can find his number on the website. he would be glad to Talk. Grand Master Chase is an Angi Uezu 9th Degree Black Belt. and he does it Uezu's way, but he does it.

Scottie

• 1 month later...

I know this is major thread necromancy but I havent been on here in a couple months. Oops!

If you take the Kim Murry classes outside of a school be careful to read the contracts about billing very carefully! I got burned because I didnt. Students were required to pay ahead of time (by two months) so when I found out I was moving out of NY, I still had to pay for a month I never even was there. Not a good experience.

As far as classes themselves I can't comment. I was only there for 3 months. I have studied martial arts for years and never came across a billing contract quite like that. Oh well. Good luck!