• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate

DeadlyAlliance

If you need to strengthen your quads and calves specifically that's easy, like JohnASE said: do a wall sit while you brush your teeth, so toe extensions while you shower do squat during commercials while you watch TV, take the stairs instead of the elevator if it's less than 6, or 10, or whatever floors, go for a jog, that'll work your quads and your calves. Good luck!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Today November 27,2010 I took my second karate class and it felt great. When warming up I felt a pinch on the bottom of my soles, I didn't know what that was but I continued with my warm up. I remember a lot of the stances that we practiced today such as the kiba dashi, zenkutsu dashi, and the oi zuki, gyaku zuki combinations. We also practiced front kick, side kick and back kick. During the transition of stances my legs started to wobble, and of course that is due to weak thigh muscles and or calves. I would like to continue on my journey in shotokan karate but I need to get the basics down first. Any tips or suggestions ?

Practice makes permanent =]

I learned that from a sandan.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

All, Is this film based on the JKA, I've not seen the film yet but it is on my wish list on amazon if anyone wants to buy it for me

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

• 2 weeks later...
There's always time to squeeze in a little practice.

i am trying to make my wife see this...she thinks we have to empty the furniture from the living room and make this big preparation for practice...but I'm teaching her that practicing can be as simple as doing half-speed drills in a stance while watching a movie or something fun. doesn't always have to be formal and take up a large area.

Although I am having a hard time doing bo kata in our little 11x14 living room...and it's COLD outside. Maybe I'll talk to the people at the local YMCA about using their gymnasium for bo kata. I've even thought about getting a cheap broomstick and cutting it in half so we have something to practice with in the living room that won't hit walls or the ceiling. Working on bo kata steps and hand placement on the simulated bo is better practice than none, IMHO...