• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate

DeadlyAlliance

Today November 27,2010 I took my second karate class and it felt great. When warming up I felt a pinch on the bottom of my soles, I didn't know what that was but I continued with my warm up. I remember a lot of the stances that we practiced today such as the kiba dashi, zenkutsu dashi, and the oi zuki, gyaku zuki combinations. We also practiced front kick, side kick and back kick. During the transition of stances my legs started to wobble, and of course that is due to weak thigh muscles and or calves. I would like to continue on my journey in shotokan karate but I need to get the basics down first. Any tips or suggestions ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but practice at home. The more you practice the quicker it'll become second nature and the less review you'll have to do in class, so you'll get to learn more new material. And do some squats and heel rises to strengthen up those leg muscles. :-) Also, my instructor always tells us to stand in certain stances we're having trouble with (usually horse stance) while we're watching TV. That way we practice it while doing other things so we don't need to make time to practice.

Lupin makes a good point. Good way to get some extra drill time in. As with all things, it will also come with time. Keep going to class and it will improve.

Keep us posted.

Today November 27,2010 I took my second karate class and it felt great. When warming up I felt a pinch on the bottom of my soles, I didn't know what that was but I continued with my warm up. I remember a lot of the stances that we practiced today such as the kiba dashi, zenkutsu dashi, and the oi zuki, gyaku zuki combinations. We also practiced front kick, side kick and back kick. During the transition of stances my legs started to wobble, and of course that is due to weak thigh muscles and or calves. I would like to continue on my journey in shotokan karate but I need to get the basics down first. Any tips or suggestions ?

Pick a kata, any kata. Do it 10 times when you wake. Then at night about an hour from your bed time, do it again 10 times.

In about 2 weeks, your legs will be strong enough for regular training. Your instructor will also be impressed with your progress.

Pick a kata, any kata. Do it 10 times when you wake. Then at night about an hour from your bed time, do it again 10 times.

In about 2 weeks, your legs will be strong enough for regular training. Your instructor will also be impressed with your progress.

well if he/she has only had two training seshs, unless they're a fast learner heian Shodan won't have all movement's picked up in two lessons. and especially for an ungraded white belt (unless brickshooter comes from another style of course) let alone attempting to do Heian Sandan or bassai sho or Tekki shodan!!!!

Brickshooter: my best advice would be to focus on Heian Shodan which is your grading kata (i train Tradition shotokan). this is a excellent demonstration of the kata from all angles and speeds

as for basics kibadachi is really painful and i hate it but stand in that stance in your room and practice chudan and jodan punches at night. then when your legs get so unbearably painful stop go have a nice hot shower to relieve the tension in your muscles and go to bed.

this is the technique that i used to strengthen my hamstrings as i use to wobble as well.i also do it for backstance. it sounds a little extreme but once you get past the initial pain factor your ok it's only the lactic acid build up in your muscles. you do get sore legs though and sleep helps but doing this is training your muscles just like training your brain to get in a pattern.

~Rhi

Thank you all for the feedback, I read all of your comments ... I came to a conclusion that everybody has their own way of strengthen there weak points. Some would use vigorous work outs, while others would just concentrate on the basics. I personally do not have the equipment or gym to train legs regularly, but doesn't mean I cant do squats at home or any other leg exercises.

I will potentially start of my day with stances and then work my way up to practicing kata as my stances gets stronger.

For the more experience people... How does kata help you in your daily life. Can it be used to transform the character of the person and how long does it take for that to happen.

"Yeah yeah patience, how long does that take?"

-Ed Gruberman, Boot To The Head sketch.

Growth and transformation are a continuing process. And it is different for each person. No one can tell you how long, or how much, kata will change you.

For me, it is a moving meditation that centers my mind, body, and spirit. It took a while to get there, and I'm not really sure how long. Now, however, it is a comfort. You'll get there.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

"Yeah yeah patience, how long does that take?"

-Ed Gruberman, Boot To The Head sketch.

Growth and transformation are a continuing process. And it is different for each person. No one can tell you how long, or how much, kata will change you.

For me, it is a moving meditation that centers my mind, body, and spirit. It took a while to get there, and I'm not really sure how long. Now, however, it is a comfort. You'll get there.

Thank you for your words of inspiration.

oops

wrong thread

but while I'm here, Nishyama always said that under Funikoshi he spent the first year punching from shizentia. Even if he was just making it up to make a point, he must have thought it was a point worth making.

Edited by todome

we all have our moments