• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Judo or fencing? Or dancing?

conrad665

If your goal is to compliment your karate and fill some gaps in areas where your style doesn't emphasize, then really, either Judo or Fencing could accomplish those goals. They would both compliment your karate in different way, but they could both make you a more well-rounded martial artists in their own rights.

However, if your goal is purely to improve your karate, as you had mentioned, then to get better at karate, do more karate. Just keep practicing what you're being taught, internalize the material so that it becomes instinctual, and commit to general exercises to improve overall fitness levels as well as specific exercises targeted towards the needs of a martial artist.

While studying another style can do wonders in making you a better overall martial artist, studying another style isn't going be as effective in improving your karate as just putting more effort into your karate would be.

This is more what I was trying to say. I would not discourage anyone from trying a new art, with the exception being someone who never stays in the same school for more than a month.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

• 1 year later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 1 month later...

I think Judo is an excellent answer to not only this question, but most questions. Example:

What was Teddy Roosevelt the first American Brown Belt in? Judo.

What system did belt colors come from? Judo.

What's the best way to fight a bear? Judo.

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

• 3 weeks later...

I realize I'm a little late with my answer, but I think you should go with the art with the better school in your area. Bad instruction will hurt you more than style.

On a side note, I looked into fencing once and asked what differences I could expect from karate. Besides the obvious sword thing, the instructor told me that the biggest change was that fencing is only done with one side of your body. i.e. you only use your right arm. Something to think about.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Judo is an excellent answer to not only this question, but most questions. Example:

What was Teddy Roosevelt the first American Brown Belt in? Judo.

What system did belt colors come from? Judo.

What's the best way to fight a bear? Judo.

:D Thanks for the advice.

I realize I'm a little late with my answer, but I think you should go with the art with the better school in your area. Bad instruction will hurt you more than style.

On a side note, I looked into fencing once and asked what differences I could expect from karate. Besides the obvious sword thing, the instructor told me that the biggest change was that fencing is only done with one side of your body. i.e. you only use your right arm. Something to think about.

Thanks, Capt Jakk, I did not think of the point you emphasise. I had decided not to think on other styles and focus on karate, but judo is always on my mind, maybe some day I will start it. Now I'm lying with a broken bone in my foot, I can't even do karate :D

Also very little lateral movement. All forwards and backwards on the platform.