• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Challenger Has Arrived...

Bushido Brown

... not really :wink:

Hello. I tried making a post, but having received no replies, I thought that perhaps my next move ought to be an introduction thread. I'm a 24-year-old graduate student working on an MA in Boulder, Colorado. I'm short, grossly overweight, and haven't done anything particularly physical in a great many years.

I am just beginning my study of martial arts... in fact, I really have yet to properly begin. For the last few weeks, I've been visiting most every decent looking Kung Fu/Karate/Aikido school in the area trying to find something (or some combination of things) that will work for me. I still have a few more places I want to observe, though the holiday has slowed my search. In the course of researching martial arts online, I came across this forum.

My reasons for wanting to begin a study of martial arts are myriad and, in all likelihood, pretty boring. Rather than try to fully chart them out, I'll give a snapshot of my goals and motivation. Over the last several years, my life (generally speaking) has slowly drifted increasingly out of hand. I've lacked focus, self-esteem, self-confidence, drive... Now, however, I want to get it together. I'm hoping that, by studying martial arts, I'll be able to facilitate a rebirth of sorts... molding myself into a better person. I'll skip the explanation as to why I've chosen martial arts as the initial vehicle for this goal, but I will say that it has to do with martial arts as a discipline to develop the whole person.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out where I want to begin studying, what art (or arts?) I want to begin studying, and how best to begin studying. At the least, expect some serious lurking from me. Though I'm usually extremely reticent to stand out or go out on a limb (even via the anonymity of the internet), I'll try to contribute as I have a great many thoughts about things... I'm just not good at getting them outside my head :)

So... yo!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome! You've already taken the first step by checking out a few classes. Most schools will allow you to take a class or 2 before you're required to sign up. Try taking a class and let us know what you think.

Try taking a class and let us know what you think.

Way ahead of you... I've tried classes at Kung Fu schools (non-traditional styles like Pyong An Do Won as well as very traditional schools teaching Mizong Luohan, Taijiquan [Wu and Yang], Fu Baguazhang, and Xingyiquan), as well as three classes (they encourage people to show up to 6-7 classes before joining anything) at a Shudokan Karate dojo. I also observed (but did not try) a class at a local aikido dojo, which was pretty cool. I still want to contact people at another dojo which teaches Shotokan Karate, Kendo, and Iaido. (I don't know how legit this place is, as I've not been able to visit it yet). I also want to check out a once-a-week kendo class through my school.

At this point, what I need to do is check out this last dojo and the college rec center kendo class. Then, I need to figure out how I want to begin studying martial arts. Though both have their pros and cons, I think that I am much more inclined to pursue Japanese arts rather than Chinese arts. Still, that leaves several options in terms of learning one style or more than one, which one(s), etc etc.

Oy.