• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frustrated any advice?

So I have been doing grappling for a little while 3-4 months now. I moved to a different club and im literally outweighed by about 80-100lbs in some circumstances. Im getting increadibly frustrated that I can't submit anyone. Even the new people like me who should be on an equal base I can't do anything with because im out muscled. I hate being this bad at something. Its not just that people are better than me its that I feel im not using what I know well enough as well which is making me really angry. I know alot of them have been training longer than me, but its no excuse for not being able to beat others at my level of experience.

It seems atm this is a huge challenge for me one which I must overcome but I have no idea how apart from training as much as I can.

Hopefully you insightful people will be able to help

:P

Edited by Jay

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tough spot. 80-100 obs is not easy to overcome. Still, it will depend on what kind of club you're at. Early on, the focus should be on relaxing and using technique, not muscle. relaying on it will actaully stunt you're growth as a grappler. I fell into this trap for several years training out of an mma club. It took moving to a pure BJJ acadamy to really start to see the difference.

If you can find guys that really want to expand their game and try not to muscle, roll with them. This will give you a chance to vett you're game and they theirs. I'd find them, and spend most of my time rolling with them. I've learned to have no problem not rolling with guys that just want to use physical attributes to roll.

That's fine if your prepping for a tournament or checking yourself occassionally for progress, but to TRAIN it's counter productive.

It might help if we knew what kind of grapping club you're at: BJJ, shoot, mma, ect. Having been thru the gambit over the years there are very real, if sometimes subtle, differences in the traditions and ethics of each. It might help us sort out a solution for you.

Grappling work is judo newaza. its good because im at a place where they do lots of ground work. I guess I feel I should be doing better thats all. Im very technical minded and groundwork should suit me but it so isn't at the moment. I guess I have to be patient with myself.

Cheers for your help btw much appreciated and anyone else that replys :)

You're giving up 80lbs+? Like tallgeese said, you're in a tough spot. It's a hard lesson, but best to get it out of the way early. Size matters. On your feet, grappling, size matters in personal combat. Unless you have a large skill gap, things are very hard when facing someone with physical advantages. In stand up when you're giving up 6 inches of reach and 40lbs+ you're in a world of hurt when trying to deal with those advantages. With only 3-4 months of training you don't have enough skill to deal with the trouble you'll have just yet. You'll be starting to get some of it, but not enough.

Now, suck as that does, again reference tallgeese here. You have to stay relaxed, focus on getting the technique down. Look for those who have been training longer than you and ask for some help. If they've been training for a while they should be letting you get to certain positions, giving you tips as you roll etc. Sure, you're still going to get tapped, but guys who are more skilled aren't going to feel as much pressure to be competitive(or they shouldn't) as they guys with the same time in. Once you get a competitive mindset out of the way, relaxed rolling without the urge to muscle things when it's close seems to come up less often.

Something else to think about too is that the guys with that much size on you may not think they are muscling technique. What to you is full bore power and it feels like they are just beating you on nothing but strength, is to a much larger person average effort. They aren't forcing things, just moving with normal levels of strength. Not saying they won't put a little extra effort into finishing or escaping when it's needed, but when you first start training, that's a normal reaction. Just a little more effort doesn't seem like a bad thing to them. Shoot, talk to them about rolling "just to polish the technique", might cause them to relax a little more. Now, the down side is they'll get better too. :)

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Look at it like this, you will never compete with that kind of weight difference, so there is no need to beat them. Instead, focus on improving your skill. Larger people are great for making sure your technique is good. And at 3-4 months, you're still learning to crawl, don't worry about walking. I don't even teach submissions until about 6 months if I can help it. Position is so much more important.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Being outsized will only make you better.

I currently roll with 4 guys who are much bigger than me. I give up 60 lbs on average. The smallest of them is 240lbs. I am 190lbs.

This kind of disadvantage in grappling will only make you stronger, and better. While you may not be able to submit them, you will have small successes, sweeping them, passing guard, getting mount, escaping poor positioning.

When you get to roll with someone your own size it will feel like nothing compared to what you are used to giving yourself a huge advantage.

You get a better workout being a smaller man rolling with a bigger man, vs the opposit scenario.

I know this will not be a problem in competition but im not bothered by that. I still think I should be able to do okay against any person of any size.

At some point size makes a difference regardless of what we know. Teach chihuahuas to fight and they will still be a snack for a Presa Canario. But the size and strength must be significant. I use butterfly, X and half guard to neutralize a persons size advantage. These are some great options to look into.

At some point size makes a difference regardless of what we know. Teach chihuahuas to fight and they will still be a snack for a Presa Canario. But the size and strength must be significant. I use butterfly, X and half guard to neutralize a persons size advantage. These are some great options to look into.

You make a good point and I do understand it well but mentally I don't like to lose, I guess its simlar for alot of people. Thanks for your help will look into them.