• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I wouldn't call them novice grapplers...unless you consider blue and brown belts novices.

Most LEO's work together despite outside "teams", and put in numerous hours training with others outside their camps if they are open minded.

I am not training to be a grappler, so I am not stunting my growth in my books.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

True I wouldn't call brown belts novices. I just can't see a chin in the ribs being a motivating factor for someone well versed. A punch in the ribs sure. lol

I'm not sure I'm following the portion of your reply referring to "stunting your growth in your books."

If it's based on the quote I gave. Master Palhares actually said that to me, personally. Other than that I agree that one shouldn't take a book in word for word as absolute or truth.

If I missed your point I apologize.

Even though no one is actively trying to groin strike during training, we often take knees during take downs and scrambles. They can often be very painful. There are many personalities that will work through it based on the fact we are also aware we need to train ourselves to do so. So that painful accident is an opportunity randomly afforded to better ourselves. There are many more people however that will roll a toe in the mat and sit out for two weeks. So I would say it depends on the individual. I prefer to train with the idea of thing I know to be 100% fact and not theory.

Choke=sleep

groin strike= may or may not find intended target and may or may not briefly subdue, stun, etc. attacker.

The portion about "stunting my growth" was in response to tallgeese.

No need to apologize JiuJitsuNation, forums are all about discussion.

My point is simple as it pertains to the original question, "When grappling, how viable are groin strikes?"...and I profess they are viable, but that I guess depends on your definition of viable, and what you are looking t the final outcome to be. Is it likely going to end a fight? In my opinion the answer is "no". Can it be used to gain an advantage, I would say yes. Even if a groin shot just enough to cause a little pain, someone can use it to gain advantage.

My chin example is just an example of how people will naturally shift their body position because it is uncomfortable. Some people will respond more than others. It's just like when people use their elbows to break guard by pushing in the inner thigh of their opponent, it bothers some people enough that they will give up a closed guard, while others it won't do a ting.

As you said JiuJitsuNation, even an incidental groin shot during a scramble can be quite painful. For some that will be enough for them to stop completely, or roll around in pain, while others will continue. To me this is proof that if you can land a shot it is viable.

Imho, it just doesn't take a lot of force in the groin area to get the attention of my opponent. I remember one time while I was on the floor writhing in pain for a solid half hour and this was due to a gracing glance to my groin by our Dai-Soke to prove a point to his most mule headed student...me.

A lot of our most Shindokan senior practitioners hate to grapple with me because I'm always actively attempting to strike and/or grab at the groin area with much success. I'm sadistic when it comes to stuff like that.

:angel:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Imho, it just doesn't take a lot of force in the groin area to get the attention of my opponent. I remember one time while I was on the floor writhing in pain for a solid half hour and this was due to a gracing glance to my groin by our Dai-Soke to prove a point to his most mule headed student...me.

A lot of our most Shindokan senior practitioners hate to grapple with me because I'm always actively attempting to strike and/or grab at the groin area with much success. I'm sadistic when it comes to stuff like that.

LOL don't get me wrong I'm not just open the being grabbed or struck. However I believe whether it's grappling or striking I feel more like you could escalate the situation out of your favor. An unsuccessful attempt on the groin will bring dire consequences. Besides you can't attack the groin with them on your back choking the life out of you. With an experienced bjj practitioner you will find very few opportunities to apply these tactics. There are strategies used to make the opponent think of only what one wants them to think about while grappling. An example is attack the neck and they will give up their arms. Unless you spend and extensive amount of time being choked and defending chokes the brain will override what you think you would do when no fresh oxygen is being received in the brain. Everyone goes night night with the choke. That just simply cannot be argued.

LOL don't get me wrong I'm not just open the being grabbed or struck. However I believe whether it's grappling or striking I feel more like you could escalate the situation out of your favor. An unsuccessful attempt on the groin will bring dire consequences. Besides you can't attack the groin with them on your back choking the life out of you. With an experienced bjj practitioner you will find very few opportunities to apply these tactics. There are strategies used to make the opponent think of only what one wants them to think about while grappling. An example is attack the neck and they will give up their arms. Unless you spend and extensive amount of time being choked and defending chokes the brain will override what you think you would do when no fresh oxygen is being received in the brain. Everyone goes night night with the choke. That just simply cannot be argued.

Let me preface what I've tried to say by just saying...when the moment is right, and not until then; whether I create it or it occurs on its own! But the 4 rules of engagement still apply: Study your opponent, study yourself, make a plan, and then carry out the plan!!

Not all plans are successful!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!