• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which Is More Important?

Which Is More Important?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is More Important?

• The amount of techniques one learns while on their MA journey?
    • The experiences one attains while on their MA journey?

I think Benoitt makes a great point about the marriage of experience and technique; if you don't know any techniques you're probably in trouble, even if you get mugged regularly. Although I would think that even in that case you would gain some technique for dealing the the situation through experience.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that I'm looking at:

- The experiences one attains while on their MA journey?

in a personal way, especially since I see the word "journey" in the question. When we say "experiences," are we speaking of what one encounters as one's life's experiences, particularly in the MA world, or honing martial arts skills?

The two can have a bit of a crossover, I think. Not all experiences will have anything to do with our Martial Arts, but some will, and that experience benefits our Martial Arts training.

• 5 weeks later...

Experience for me. I don't train in a hard style (shotokan is anything but "hard core") and after 5 years of not being able to train, all that's left is the experiences. The wonderful people I trained with, the sense of accomplishment I had when being able to land a technique I'd never believe I can etc. Of course the techniques are very important, but most of the time we're left with more than just a good spinning kick