• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first competition!!!

KumitePanda

so ladies and gents yesterday i had my first comp, albeit a interclub one and theres about 5 TSKF clubs in South australia. Anyway, i went in with the attitude of 'It doesn't matter if i don't place it's all about charater building and it's also about experience.' well was i surprised when i placed 3rd in the 10th-7th Kyu Open seniors Kata!!!!!! I hate Kata because i just don't do it well at all and trying to remember all the movements gets me baffled.

then came team kata. no placing for that but it was definately an experience.

Kumite was my last event for the day 10th-7th Kyu open seniors kumite 5 Step Sparring. i get up for my first round and the first round was a draw so we went again and that was a draw to but i got the point and won that round, sat out for the fight for 3rd and when the fight for 1st and 2nd was up it was the guy that i train with at the dojo and myself....at the end of that it was another draw but my partner won and i placed 2nd! it was amazing

best experience of my life so far...next is to get the Dojo Kun tattooed on my arm!

~Rhi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats KumitePanda! :D Great that you enjoyed the experience. You think you'll do more of them?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Definately!!!! but i think i'll stick with Kumite in the future though :lol: and i've also figured out that i'm only 2 and a bit years off my black belt if all goes accordingly!!!

I think now that i've got a taste there's no going back but before i even have a go at nationals i want to get to a better belt; blue or purple maybe even brown. that way i know i'm ready! i have a very competitive streak in me so it works well.

~Rhi

Thanks guys! i think the only thing i was disappointed in was Team Kata. But that was probaby because i'm an epileptic and i have a feeling i had a seizure. I kinda stood there and looked like a dickweed..bit embarassing more than disappointing coz i kinda just stood there for 10 seconds.

~Rhi

Congrats KumitePanda! :D Great that you enjoyed the experience. You think you'll do more of them?

I echo Danielle's congrats and question to ya'.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Definately!!!! but i think i'll stick with Kumite in the future though :lol: and i've also figured out that i'm only 2 and a bit years off my black belt if all goes accordingly!!!

I think now that i've got a taste there's no going back but before i even have a go at nationals i want to get to a better belt; blue or purple maybe even brown. that way i know i'm ready! i have a very competitive streak in me so it works well.

Awesome, you've got the bug :D

Know what you mean at kata, I hate doing it and its my worst event. But I still do it because I figure if I'm going to travel all that way just to spar I might as well have a go at the forms. Not saying you have to, but maybe have a go at a couple more kata events? Training really hard for them leading up to a tournament improves you all round and its a nice little warm-up for sparring later :D Besides, sounds like you did pretty well at them to get 3rd!

And you don't have to wait for a higher belt for nationals. Even if you don't place you can learn a lot from watching and competing against better competitors who have more experience. You can make mistakes now but when you get to purple and brown belt the level goes up and so does the competition.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

yeah i know but 5 step sparring and 1 step sparring?? i'm more of a go get em' girl. sounds weird but i'm one of the most competitive females in my dojo at 7th kyu level..actually im the only female at 7th kyu level. and at one training night a black belt and myself sparred off against eachother...i copped her a beauty on the chin. one of the sempai's has said i have some of the fastest reflexes he's seen in a long time. nailed a cocky 2nd dan in the ribs 2weeks ago he wasn't very happy about that!

~Rhi