• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unshu, kata and bunkai

BlackSilver

IMO, it's very good bunkai for competition.

But not too good for every day training as it requires a lot of athleticism that many folks don't have. And some of the jumps are risky from a self-defense aspect.

However, if one were to make it self-defense which thereby simplifies bunkai as much as possible, one would be coming in last in competition or be expelled for boring the judges to death.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you fare at the competition? Did you place high?

We ranked first. It was the final against the Iranian team, in Shukokai World karate champs, held in Waldkierchen, Germany, in 2009. Thank you :)

Sensei8 i totally agree with you. Thank you for your thoughts, and I'd like to add the fact that, the Bunkai, and every bunkai I've ever made, is only our creation. Our sensei leave us doing that, alone. Of course if we need something we go and ask. Of course if he notices that there's something unsuitable he tells us, but his "philosophy" is that we have to find our own solutions for a bunkai. He thinks that it's part of our growth in karate to study and analyze a kata and to come out with something interesting, and in THIS PARTICULAR CASE, something which would work in a competition. And i personally think that this is good for us: i mean, not having everything served on a silver plate, receive orders and just do. We have to think, we have to face things and solve them. And of course, if we wanna play this game of competitions, we must use the same cards as others do, or there's no point in playing. you play, if you want to win. Am i wrong? :)

Moreover we try to make a new bunkai for every Shukokai's world competition, so out brains are always working :D

Sojobo, what0s martial in a competition intended in the way they're done today? Nothing. It's just a game, and when i do a bunkai or a kata for a competition I am aware that I am playing. It's easy I think.

Anyway, I suppose that the important thing is to know that there's something more behind the show which is performed in competitions. And, humbly speaking, I think I'm lucky to be in a dojo where most people practice the traditional side of this martial art in a martial way.

I am aware of that even when it happens that we are training in some particular environments (as wkf gatherings), and the only participants who behave in a martial way, are us. That's disappointing, but the important thing is to remain different to whom forgetseverything which is behind some medals.

It's like the athletes who know only 5 katas: the 5 they do in competitions. That, i believe, is what you re referring to and luckily, it's not my case.

IMO, it's very good bunkai for competition.

But not too good for every day training as it requires a lot of athleticism that many folks don't have. And some of the jumps are risky from a self-defense aspect.

However, if one were to make it self-defense which thereby simplifies bunkai as much as possible, one would be coming in last in competition or be expelled for boring the judges to death.

You got the point. I would never dream of doing a...let's say tobi ura mawashi in a self defence. Indeed, I would even be careful in using high kicks, if you know what i mean :)

What do you mean with the jump things? That we don't do them in the correct way?

Well being a jugde occassionally when i happen upon a competition/tournament. You 3 have a solid and good working team there.

Solid performance, good strength, insink movement of all. Its good for someone like me to jugde other styles cause I'm not familiar with what I see. So I when I jugde team I know I have to put it on a different scale then say individual.

I saw some minor hestitation but nothing that would be caught by the untrained.

I remember way back doing a team kata we had maybe 15 mins to practice. Our sensei kinda told us we needed a couple more for the adult team. We placed I think 2nd with hardly any practice at all.

Well being a jugde occassionally when i happen upon a competition/tournament. You 3 have a solid and good working team there.

Solid performance, good strength, insink movement of all. Its good for someone like me to jugde other styles cause I'm not familiar with what I see. So I when I jugde team I know I have to put it on a different scale then say individual.

I saw some minor hestitation but nothing that would be caught by the untrained.

I remember way back doing a team kata we had maybe 15 mins to practice. Our sensei kinda told us we needed a couple more for the adult team. We placed I think 2nd with hardly any practice at all.

Thank you for watching and commenting :)