• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Unshu, kata and bunkai

BlackSilver

Ermm... Ok, you guys were fantastic.

sojobo

Good to have sudden enlightenments after 30 years of training ;)

after 30 years of traing id expect more then some sarcasm, since i guess you're a grown up man. I asked for some comment on the performance, is good to have critics and that is why, since everyone was only complimenting, i wanted some corrections, some ideas from where to start emproving what im doing.

Then you arrived, i understand your point like i said, luckily I'm aware of other aspects of karate, much more martial of wkf competitions (which are not martial at all).

Everything fine.

Then you come to me with the most irritating and unuseful question: "are you doing karate?"

I'm gonna use your same sarcasm.

No, I'm not.

Happy now? :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if my thoughts offend you.

I think moving forward I best keep them to myself.

All the very best.

Sojobo

again, no offence at all. it s just that there was some good stuff to conversate about. Then you called it quits with that question. That's what i simply can't stand. There were two possible answers yes or no. just think about the consequences of each one, and then maybe you'll unedrstand my irritation.

Hi,

I edited my post because I thought it a little harsh.

You got there before me though - good reflexes ;)

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm

BlackSilver wrote:

I have fun doing it, i enjoy myself and i feel good training and performing with my teammates. What more should i ask?

Nothing more! Is what you are doing karate? IMO, it is the best kind of karate! But what do I know, I am a mere ikkyu, and too old to take the kind of falls you guys are doing. I thouroughly enjoyed your performance, and can totally relate to your love for the art.

Nothing more! Is what you are doing karate? IMO, it is the best kind of karate! But what do I know, I am a mere ikkyu, and too old to take the kind of falls you guys are doing. I thouroughly enjoyed your performance, and can totally relate to your love for the art.

thank you for watching! :)

Thanks to everyone! :)

No one has something to say about it? It's good to hear different point of views

I feel the timing, power, and spirit in the performance were spot on. However, I think some of the moves were very unrealistic, with reactions that were hokey (fake) at best. That said...it's competition, there's always some element of showboating that will go on.

How did you fare at the competition? Did you place high?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Very solid Kata/Bunkai across the board!! Thanks for sharing it!!

Seeing that Bunkai is the interpretation of the practitioner; yours can't be argued with. Why? No matter, imho, what one thinks, it's [bunkai] YOURS and YOURS alone.

Imho, your version of Unshu was solid across the board. Your Bunkai of Unshu was also solid across the board due to what I've already explained. Did the Bunkai demonstrate effectiveness in its interpretation? Not at all times, but that's ok. Why? IT'S THE INTERPRETATION OF THAT PRACTITIONER!! That's the bueaty of Bunkai. For an example; I can see a type of bueaty in a painting that no one else can see. Does that validate/invalidate that painting?

Bunkai doesn't have an exclamation point. The content as well as the context changes from moment to moment. Nothing in Bunkai is written in stone, and in that, my way was never my Dai-Soke's way because it was MY Bunkai, and mine alone. Sure, my Dai-Soke taught the Bunkai per the curriculum as well as his different interpretations, but after that, the Bunkai I train is MINE!!

In that, Bunkai IS patent pending, but that doesn't mean that it can't be improved upon through interpretation(s).

Nothings perfect!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

you should forgive me if i say that this is the question used by whom does not know what more to say. Is what YOU are doing karate? Who is doing KARATE?

Kyokushin? Traditional fighting? Full contact? Okinawan?

I haven't heard anybody who could answer that question yet.

I suspect the reason why you haven't had it answered is because you haven't asked the right person.

Karate is different things to different people that’s why I pointed that out my question was a rhetorical one.

If you are anything like me, your view on what karate is, will change as you go through your karate career and as I said in an earlier post I am not anti competition (I've done enough of them). So what is Karate? According to the font of all knowledge yes... Wikipedia...

Karate is a martial art developed in the Ryukyu Islands in what is now Okinawa, Japan. It was developed from indigenous fighting methods called te and Chinese kenpō Karate is a striking art using punching, kicking, knee and elbow strikes, and open-handed techniques such as knife-hands (karate chop). Grappling, locks, restraints, throws, and vital point strikes are taught in some styles

I am not being facetious when I post this, I think the answer is there in the words "Karate is a martial art". So what defines a martial art? If you are doing martial movements as part of show - does what you are doing make you a martial artist? Imo it doesn't, you are simply stringing a set of movements together – because it is missing vital elements of realism including threat and intent.

Does the fact that you are practicing a martial art form - with a view to improving yourself make you a martial artist?

"Shugyou" is a Japanese word that means to develop oneself through sincere training - and it can be any kind of training (flower arranging, painting, karate etc.) the overriding objective within Shugyou is self development. However, if you remove the martial "teeth" from a martial art (as seen in many WKF kata bunkai imo) – you are taking out the “Bu” from “Budo” and therefore you are no longer following the path of martial artists - you’re training becomes purely "Shugyou" as opposed to "Budo" imo.

At this stage, what you are doing (be that Shotokan, Shito-ryu, or Kyokushin etc) - ceases to be Karate.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm