• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Motivating Parents

After my topic on Student Commitment, I decided that it maybe a good idea to discuss how we could potentially motivate parents in such a way as to help their children progress.

We know that in the end children are only with us sometimes as little as two hours a week and that all the work we can put in where discipline goes and even the hard work in training can be undone sometimes very quickly.

My students try really hard but to give you an example. I have just introduced a merit badge based syllabus for my junior members (5-9 years) as I know that the time between grades can be long winded for children, especially those with a short attention span. The system will require the students to work through their techniques as they usually would but instead of being graded for all of them in a huge bunch, they will be graded on them individually. This means that they can select a technique and just work on that until they feel they have done the best they can at that point in time. Then they can be assessed and pass or fail a merit badge assessment. It is still as difficult as a grading would be but this way a student is more in control of how their grades go, they know straight away what it is they are getting wrong. It has also promoted the student knowing what is required, they take a greater interest.

The main thing we try and encourage is for the students to go home and be able to go through this syllabus with their parents and for some form on home learning to be possible to. This can be through Japanese recitation or even learning the student creed which takes no instructor assistance at all, just a little time at home to help them learn a single sentence.

After I heard one parent say about his daughter, well she will either do them or she wont when we asked if she wanted to try for one I was shocked as he had not asked her and did not seem to want to be involved with her trying.

So my question is this. I am thinking of ways in which I can arouse some kind of passion in the parents so that they will help their children and take an interest. As I am sure you can all agree training should never end as they leave the Dojo and I would like to harness this. Does anyone have any methods that they have tried and have succeeded as obviously I would be happy to use a tried and tested method rather than try several only to have them fail.

Oss

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, you would think that asking parents to help their children was a no brainer lol.

When I pitched the idea to parents in the first place they were all incredibly supportive and appreciated tht they could take on a role where they would understand what their children are actually doing.

It will not be the biggest problem ever as I can still obviously train the students and get them as far as I normally would but I do feel parental assistance from a home point would be overly beneficial.

I know, you would think that asking parents to help their children was a no brainer lol.

When I pitched the idea to parents in the first place they were all incredibly supportive and appreciated tht they could take on a role where they would understand what their children are actually doing.

It will not be the biggest problem ever as I can still obviously train the students and get them as far as I normally would but I do feel parental assistance from a home point would be overly beneficial.

Ever thought about running a dual class at the same time?

I don't know about your floor. But if there is enough room, you could consider running two classes. Children on the left, parents on the right. Probably need to get 2nd instructor for the parents.

You could offer the parents a family discount on the pricing. They get to ... fight off diabetes, heart disease, obesity, stress instead of being bored to death sitting in the car. And the parent now have common interest with the child = better relationship.

You get more revenues, better loyalty from your students since they can motivate each other.

Perhaps by having typed out syllabii, or even picutres and directions of what the kids are to do, to provide the parents with might help them to understand better how to help their kids.

Also, assigning "homework" for the parents to sign off on is a good idea. Maybe doing their form or techniques for 10 minutes at home, and then mom or dad signs off they did it, and had to watch them do it.

That is one of the ideas that I was thinking of, they have to anyway to a certain degree as they need to have signed proof that they can look after their Gi when they are at home. The only trouble we thought with this is that a parent may just sign to say they have regardless.

I am a karate mom, and a member. My kids and I are the same rank. And I can tell you, if someone told me I had to witness and sign my kids practicing, I'd resent it. Parents have enough to do. Schools already send home enough make-work projects for parents.

There has to be some sort of middle ground. In our club, there are the people who practice nightly. And there are people who do not...their reasons are their own. I try to run our family through a kata or two, a technique or two, every night. But who am I to tell them if they are doing it right or not? I am not their Sempai, not really. How would a parent who doesn't have a clue what a Pinan is, or what a neko ashi dachi stance is, supposed to help their kid? It gets a little tiring, leading the parents by the hand, for their kid to drop out next month.

Kata Queen

Motivating parents to become more involved in their kids' martial arts isn't going to happen, no matter what pitch you use because parents will be involved ONLY if THEY want to.

Sure, we instructors can get the parents involved during class, like holding a shield or a blocker or a focus pad but I still don't see the parents getting involved at home. Why?

With some parents life/work comes first to them, and this means when they're not doing either, their resting/watching tv.

Parents want US to teach, and in that, they use the excuse that whatever they do to help, it might contridict what we're teaching.

I had a lot of parents that were involved because THEY WANTED TO, and in that, it wasn't anything that I said or did. I'd pitch one reason after another, but for those parents that didn't want to be involved in their kids training, well, I'd be meet with one excuse after another OR, they'd agree to in order to appease me in my presence, but just as soon as they're out the door, they're back to NOT helping at all.

Now, I did require A parent/relative to attend every testing cycle, AND I also required A parent/relative to come inside the dojo to drop off/pick up their kid(s) at the beginning/end of class.

Getting parents motivated to pay, is about all one can expect, yes, we can hope until the wheels fall off, and we can threaten them until the wheels fall off, we can pitch them all the positive reasons in the world until the wheels fall off, but in the long run, it's going to up to the parents if they want to become actively involved in thier kids training.

It's not up to the instructor, it's not up to the kids, it's not up to any relatives, no, it's entirely up to the parents and to be honest with you, parents are selfish across the board.

IMHO!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!