• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ciuld I please get some sparring advice?

Blade96

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My style doesn't do tournaments so take my advice for what it's worth - but if I were in your shoes, I would also make sure I am physically on top - maybe forget about karate for the last week, watch your diet, do aerobics and/or swimming. A superior technique won't save you if you're gasping for air.

My style doesn't do tournaments so take my advice for what it's worth - but if I were in your shoes, I would also make sure I am physically on top - maybe forget about karate for the last week, watch your diet, do aerobics and/or swimming. A superior technique won't save you if you're gasping for air.

Oh shotokai.....Yeah I read about your style. Split from us because you guys believed that karate is much more of a personal thing improving yourself so that competing would kind of detremental to that. Yes I read about you folks.

And MAP is a MA forum I post on, I posted my post from there onto here too so that I could get advice from both sides. instead of just one forum. Maybe someone from here might give advice that a MAP'er wouldnt have saidand vise versa. :)

anyways, thanks for the advice! I'll let ya all know what happens this weekend! :)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

need to train more bro.. it'll help much on your reaction, timing and defense.. with that instant counter from an attack it is from your training and constant practice.

Goodluck!!

I do have to disagree with ptr just a bit in regards to his last post. Yes, physical conditioning is highly important. However, a week out won't do much for your cardio. It's something you should have been working all along, cycled with how far out from competition you are.

As to technique, yes, you need gas in the tank to make it go. However, good technique is the cornerstone of NOT burning needless energy. Sloppy or muscled movement will just burn you out faster. Good technique, properly executed will save the energy you do have.

Good technique can also be practiced all the way up to the fight without fear of injury if properly worked. This way, your safetly increasing what is probabily the most ciritical componant of you game. Rather than forget about it, it gets paramount in my training a week out or so when I can't hit training hard for fear of last minute injury. It is also helpful to keep moving in the last week when I start scailing back on heavy conditionig so my body can be fully rested.

Just a different out look, that's all. One that's worked for me in many different competitive venues.

I do have to disagree with ptr just a bit in regards to his last post. Yes, physical conditioning is highly important. However, a week out won't do much for your cardio. It's something you should have been working all along, cycled with how far out from competition you are.

Tallgeese, I was assuming the original poster already had a good level of physical conditioning - in this case, 1 week of extra care (especially regarding the diet, like cutting all alcohol and extra fat) could give him that extra push. This is similar to what marathon runners do on their last week.

Maybe, but I'd still focus on technical sharpinging with the tools he's comfortable with just prior.

Thanks peeps. Yeah I've a good diet and am in pretty good shape. Also been training working on my stuff.....

Tallgeese, I was assuming the original poster already had a good level of physical conditioning - in this case, 1 week of extra care (especially regarding the diet, like cutting all alcohol and extra fat) could give him that extra push. This is similar to what marathon runners do on their last week.

Her, actually =]

Its ok, everyone who's not familiar with me mistakes me for a man on forums. :lol: I think its funny.

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

Oh, so you are a woman? well the nick sounds manly :P And you are yellow belt like me :)

Hope you do well on your turnament

I know, my nick is manly :P

Yep. I am yellow belt. For about another 2 weeks.

and the tournament went well. I am gonna make a thread.