• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ciuld I please get some sparring advice?

Blade96

You see, I'm going to a tournament on the 20th of Nov 2010 (hosted by another organization but they always invite us to take part) where since I am yellow belt now, I can kumite for the first time, unlike my Kata tournament of almost a year ago where I couldnt sparr cause i was a little white belt. This time, I can do both Kata (i will do heian nidan) and kumite if there is a sparring partner for me. I got kata advice almost a year ago from you nice MAP 'ers here. Could I possibly now get some Kumite advice as well?

Thank you,

Blade.

:)

Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.

You don't have to blow out someone else's candle in order to let your own flame shine.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'm assuming it's either ippon kumite or wkf style, and you could get a bunch of different replies and possibly some conflicting views, but I tell this to all my students who kumite for the 1st time. When something happens, throw that gyakuzuki! even if you're caught by surprise just throw it! Don't get caught doing nothing/not reacting.

Otherwise, try your best and learn from your experience!

Very good point about not blaming anyone for losing. It is a real let down when you see other clubs and instructors blaming referees for decisions etc which goes against what we are meant to learn as students of the art. We should always be humble and accept defeat as well as we accept winning.

I assume however you would like tips on fighting itself though?

The best advice would be to sparr with anyone that is better than you. Mainly because it is a challenge and you have to get better to be able to look after yourself. It worked for me, from my 6th Kyu (Orange belt for me) I started free sparring with my Sensei, I wanted to be good and I knew he was the best to learn from.

Other tips though are simple things like, remember to keep you head up, always look your oponent head on as you can see the whole body looking at the head whereas if you drop it you can lose sight of many things.

Also, almost every movement an opponent makes comes from the shoulders, another reason to keep your head up.

The last thing would be that even the most experienced of fighters will tell you that the basics are usually what score points and fast. basic reverse punches front or round kicks with good blocking and counter skills are all you will need. make sure you are fast to get in and out.

Hope that helps

Osu

Always keep your guard up, and try to keep your optimal distance. And when he atack either jump out of range or try a counter.

And whatever happens stay focus dont give up and do your best.

Good luck

A style is just a name.

With fights going on on the 20th, that's real short notice. It's really to late to integrate anything new into your game. Espicially if it's unfamiliar terriroty or untested by you in training settings.

Instead, focus on sharpening up what you have. Look at your timing. Make sure your technique is perfect as possible and start thinking tactics while you're working out. Light is king a week out. No need to get busted up with the time you looking at.

Lots of mitts, light contact and movement. Drill foot work and downshift on running and lifting if you're doing it. Mental prep is BIG from here on out.

The biggest thing at this point it to have fun. Stay loose and enjoy the thing. You can go back to the drawing board afterwards.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Keep your hands up and far enough in front of you to make it difficult for them to strike. Lift your leg and use that as a block rather than trying to block a low kick with your hands.

As long as you can keep control of the situation, force them to try and go around those hand in front of you, then tap them real quick when they open up the middle of their body trying to hit you.

I just taught one of our new guys this, he only uses a high block and a reverse punch - all he really needs if he uses those simple rules I suggested.

I think the point about thank the guy who beat you for giving you the practice. The trophy is worthless, the real experience is why I pay the $40 or so to spar.

Good luck.

Okinawan Karate-Do Institute

http://okiblog.com

Kumite until the wheels fall off and then some leading up to the tournament, but not with the same dojo mates, add some spice to that Kumite life.

Also, don't run away. One of the most common point makers for your opponent(s) is to blitz you and have you turn your back to them for an easy point, or they'll run you out of the ring enough that you'll lose points or your opponent will earn a point. So, stand your ground or slip by them, just don't run away.

Have fun!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I got kata advice almost a year ago from you nice MAP 'ers here. Could I possibly now get some Kumite advice as well?

Not sure we are the MAP'ers here that you are referring to (well some of us are), but if it is WKF style shiai - the best way you can approach it is by thinking of it as a game of tag rather than fighting.

As others have said, your main weapon (to tag people with) is a fast gyak and just like the game - get in and out quick and tag them before they get you.

Sojobo

I know violence isn't the answer... I got it wrong on purpose!!!

http://www.karatedo.co.jp/wado/w_eng/e_index.htm