• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Feel like I'm going backwards

I just got back from a three week business trip (out of the dojang for nearly four weeks) and feel extremely rusty. This feels like part of an ongoing trend though, and I'm beginning to get frustrated. During sparring last night, I was taking far too many hits, and from unexpected opponents. During line drills, I had a very hard time with jump spinning kicks like I haven't since I first learned them. I don't know if I can remember all of my forms- and I don't have that many! Like my overall skill level is declining. I was wondering if anyone else felt this way?

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are some things you need to keep in mind, friend.

One, no one is ever, ever, EVER, untouchable. We all have our off days, some longer than most.

Don't EVER doubt yourself for getting your behind handed to you. I've fought some fierce competition during my active amateur days and have taken out the top of my weight class. Then there were days where I'd get my knocked on my rear by some newbie.

And by the sound of it, a three week business trip sounds like a serious job. Stress and your averted focus could be behind you forgetting your forms.

And for you not being able to do a spinning kick. Well friend, a month out of the dojang WILL do that to you. You will get it back in no time, just be patient.

It is like when I stretch. If I skip a week, I struggle just reaching for my toes.

If you doubt yourself, you'll only go downhill from there.

Besides, if you ain't getting hurt, you're not learning jack.

I've been away for several months now, so when I get back, I imagine the rust is going to be quite bad. Looking forward to it, and not, at the same time.

I have been busy myself-trip to Malaysia followed by two conventions back to back!!! I can relate to your feeling....not a lot of time for training-makes one feel sluggish. Never fear....it will come back fast!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

And now I'm all sore today :cry:

Worked on kick-ups and dive rolls and spinning staff yesterday. So my neck is stiff, my hands are in knots, and my knees ache.

Graceful is one thing I'm not. But it was fun!

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

But once you got back onto that horse, so to speak, everything came back....huh? Aren't you glad that you did despite the pain?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

And now I'm all sore today :cry:

If you were not feeling sore, then I'd only tell you that you aren't working hard enough.

Pain really is gain! You cannot be fast on your feet by plopping on the couch and munching doritos all day.

You seem to doubt yourself constantly. Not sure if it is because you wish to hear[read] positive feedback from others, or you really feel that way. Either way, just remember Rome wasn't built in a day [insert cliche here].

Yeah, hard training, resulting is sore can be a sign of good training. I can also lead to injury if not heeded and thus more lag time in training.

I'm not saying stop, but don't be afraid to modify your training protocols around your body's response to the stress you put on it. Maybe a light day the day after, skill work, ect.

The key is to stay healthy so you can keep training. You can only do that by training smart.

Keep on trying. In the end, it shouldn't take long for you to learn all that again. But you gotta lose the fear (or what ever is the feeling in control right now) and keep in mind that you can do it. I don't think there's many who has trained for some time, but hasn't gone through this. :wink:

I think, that situations like this remind us of the importance of the basics, and also makes us do those basics time after time. Propably many people while doing those techniques, often feel like it's so easy, you could do it while sleeping.. But then your away for some time, and you realize that you can't..And that's a good thing :) .

“One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular.” -Anthony Robbins