Martial arts for over 50 years old a.c.a. seniors

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. It would be more effective to have your body weigth in the technique rather than just swinging a stick.

Have you tried any techniques on a heavy bag? It might give a feel what might work.

Heavy bag? . . . yes. If you consider a cane to be no more than a three ft stick with a handle there are a plethora of applications that take direct contact with limited expenditure of energy . . . the bridge of the nose, under the nose, throat area, temple, on and on . . .

Not sure why they are teaching old people to do all the fancy stuff . . . and arm locks and things unless it is just for the money. Simplicity rules when it comes to self defense.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my students, now deceased, joined the dojo at age 72. He was a member of the Presidents council on physical fitness, and a popular TV show did a segment on his life. He remained my student for the rest of his life. He once told me why he stayed with me. "Sensei, you always treated just like any other student."

I am now 74 years old. I have practiced karate, continuously, for 38 years. I train seven days a week. I honestly do not recognize any diminishing of my martial arts capability. My teacher is 88, he visited the USA three years ago and during training sessions he lead the exercises, including knuckle push ups.

YOU IS WHAT YOU IS!

One of my students, now deceased, joined the dojo at age 72. He was a member of the Presidents council on physical fitness, and a popular TV show did a segment on his life. He remained my student for the rest of his life. He once told me why he stayed with me. "Sensei, you always treated just like any other student."

I am now 74 years old. I have practiced karate, continuously, for 38 years. I train seven days a week. I honestly do not recognize any diminishing of my martial arts capability. My teacher is 88, he visited the USA three years ago and during training sessions he lead the exercises, including knuckle push ups.

YOU IS WHAT YOU IS!

Very hard to believe, but it gives hope. So I might be in same condition next 30 years :) I'm only 55 at the moment.