• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Creative/frestyle kata to music

If what you're saying is true, then I can only hypothesize that all styles of the martial arts shall never find that common and/or that neutral ground for the betterment of the martial arts.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have seen empty-hand and weapons "Musical Kata" divisions that consist of nothing more than acrobatics and High School Color Guard demonstrations. That isn't to say that those things are bad, but for the most part they have little to no martial value beyond sheer athleticism.

Summarises my point exactly.

Karate developed into something like chinese wushu, looks great fun, but 5 year old with a spoon would be able to best you in a fight.

To say that someone would be able to beat another soundly in a fight, based soley off what one sees in a forms competition, is a gross over-generalization. That's likely only one facet of the person's training.

As for the reason to why creative forms to music exists, its because people find it fun and challenging to do, and they enjoy it. Do I like creative forms, no. I don't like to watch them at all. But, that isn't to say that I think the performers are not skilled Martial Artists. They are very athletic, to say the least. But, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they are unskilled in every other facet of the Martial Arts.

In the end, creative forms is just one facet in a world of Martial Arts training and expression. Is it any good for self-defense. Not likely. Does that make it counter-productive to Martial Arts training? One could argue that. But like tallgeese said, its great for those who want to do it, and for those that don't, then its good to let it be, and focus on one's own training goals.

Karate has (in my opinion) lost prominence as a martial art (remember when people used to call all martial arts "karate", just like all videogames were "nintendos"?), and Muay Thai has taken a lead as "the" striking martial art.

I think this has more to do with the popularization of more Martial Arts styles in general than any decline in what would be defined as "true" or "quality" Karate. For years, Karate has been known for more of a medium or "touch" contact sparring (excluding the knockdown styles), whereas Muay Thai's prominence has been seen on the world stage with events like Pride and MMAs coming onto the scene. But, you still do have your pro fighters with the Karate backgrounds. They just tend to be fewer.