• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate for Judo, BJJ/Grappling and Similar

kozushi

I'm a judo and grappling nut, and I started doing Shotokan Karate kata a few weeks ago (I learned the Taikyoku and Heian katas from Funakoshi's book, which I own) to improve my grappling skills.

I am sure they work. Everything I do is more powerful, absolutely for sure.

The kata keep my centre of balance settled down low. They develop strong pushing type movements with my legs. They psychologically steel my mind for fighting, since in the kata I am cutting through everything in front of me - in a competition, I have to think of cutting through my competitor, as if he is just the thin air. The kata develop and keep my memory of sequential physical movements sharp. They are developing in me a much better conscious awareness of what all parts of my body are doing at a given time, and therefore more control over them. Just like I feel in full control in the kata, so I feel the same way in matches - psychologically and physically.

I particularly feel in more control on the ground.

Also, the kata definitely are making my body much stronger and better balanced, and I think my circulation is improved and overall health.

I have done judo for 22 years, fencing for 8, kendo for 9 (including some intense years in South Korea - with judo too, actually) and I have trained for over a year in Wado Kai Karate as a kid (and a summer a few years ago again). I have competed in sport MMA, and have won several judo and BJJ tourneys.

I am definitely seeing the benefits of Karate for judo and grappling.

Some of the Karate moves also resemble Fencing: particularly those from the back stance, which is almost exactly a fencing stance. I have a suspicion that there is a lot of wrestling/grappling in the katas.

2010: Budokan Judo Senior (18yrs+) Champion. Budokan Masters Champion. 2009: Senior International Cup Judo Champion. Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2008: Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Remember that Karate is a system intentionally designed to be simple. So anytime you see a complicated technique in kata not resembling a real world strike, it's not really a strike.

It's actually a throw, sweep, armlock, or strangulation. Unfortunately, Karate folks tend come from a long line of strikers. So they reasoned that everything in Kata must either be a strike or a block.

As you progress in Karate, you'll know what I'm talking about. But to NOT correct your Karate instructors. Remember your etiquette.

My Karate teacher is a book (Karatedo Kyohan.) So, even though my dead instructor might not agree with my interpretations or applications, he probably won't know about them. :) (I used to take Karate a while ago at a few different clubs, so I do happen to know the basics pretty well.)

The fencing stances also intrigue me. I'm pretty sure the knife hand stuff is some kind of figure for holding a knife or even a sword, maybe one in both hands...

Anyways, the Karate training works marvelously for grappling.

2010: Budokan Judo Senior (18yrs+) Champion. Budokan Masters Champion. 2009: Senior International Cup Judo Champion. Copa Ontario BJJ Champion. Central East Region Master's Shiai Judo Champion. 2008: Joslin's Canadian Open BJJ Champion.