• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's rude to .......

Funny thing when I read your post......I took it as asking for advice, and not a challenge to fight the senior student. I see no problem with asking for advice on any aspect of your training, so long as it is appropriate, and I can see that you do that anyway. Perhaps it was a misunderstanding or a mis communication on the part of the student/instructor.

It's what you put into it...

1st kyu-Okinawa Shorin Ryu Matsumura Seito Federation

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This may be a long shot, but perhaps your instructor didn't want that particular senior belt to help you. That person may have a bad reputation for fighting that you don't know about, and this was your instructor's way of keeping you safe without embarassing his other student.

Like I said, could be a long shot, but you never know. There's always some more politics behind a dojo than you would think :nod:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

It is also a possibility that the sensei wants to give you advice on sparring and feels that a senior belt who is more liberal thinking may give you advice which in the sensei's mind is inferior advice to his own.

Another long shot, but who knows?

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I offer my advice so why would I not give it to a student who asks....

I dont see anything wrong with asking either as long as the ediquette is there. (I've been known not to give advice if the manners of the individual werent there) Matter of fact in my school they are always encourged to ask. Specially since they are suppose to be watching the ring when they are not fighting.

:karate: :wink: :P :)

Thanks, Blue :) That's how I thought (and was trained in TSD) how it was supposed to be.

I was chatting with my hunny after class about this stuff. He was a little "peeved" about the stupid trivial crap this (my school) has. He is also upset about the prices. I am too. The trouble is now, I'm stuck in a f**king contract!!!!! My advice is, never sign a 3 year contract. :kaioken:

Laurie F

[color=indigo]THREE YEARS!?!?!?!?!? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?!?!?!?!?!? Sorry, that was the wrong question entirely. WHAT WAS YOUR INSTRUCTOR THINKING!?!?!?!?!Why would any school have a contract for that amount of time....people are fickle...I've found this to be doubly true when it comes to martial artists...[/color]

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

No you were right the first time, 360. What was I thinking?!?!?!?!?!? But that doesn't stop me from attending another school. I might have to put up with this one for a while, but I can find another school elsewhere.

Laurie F

WOW 3 years!!! Good luck with that, I hope you can make the best of it.

As for the topic at hand, it appears to me that either your request for help was taken as a challenge or it was an ego thing.

When proper etiquette is applied I believe any quality senior student would be more than happy to offer advice/instruction.

Just my opinion as well as the way it works at my school.

"Do not assume I share your prejudices"