• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What are your Sparring classes like?

I've ran out of ideas for sparring exercises to do with my students...I try to introduce new exercises each class so my students don't get bored...

When I teach sparring, I like to divide the class time into 3 segments...I first get my students to spar using just punches..Then I get my students to use only kicks. Finally, I get my students to put it all together by engaging in free-sparring using both hands and feet...By dividing it up into 3 parts, allows students to better focus on their weak points... Sometimes, I let my students spar using only the front hand..I call this "technique concentration", which allows them to improve using their front hand.. If I find that my students need to improve on their reaction techniques, I make them engage in one count sparring...(ONe person kicks, the other person blocks, then kicks, then the other person blocks..They don't stop until i say so....It's continuous based on reaction..)

Anyway, how are your sparring classes taught? Give me some ideas for sparring exercises!

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-08-03 04:18 ]

Kinesiologist/Trainer

Black-Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know a few. It's good to get variety.

1: One partner does hands only the other does legs only. Then switch around.

2: tie students belts together so they are stuck in boxing range, then get them to do light hands only sparring. (Great exercise!!!)

3: (THIS IS GREAT FUN) Last man standing tournament. 2 teams (of 5 for example) tag team style. Each team has a captain who nominates a fighter. Each fighter has 3 lives, they lose a life if struck above the belt with hand or foot, or if they go off the mat. They can tag and swap with team members at anytime. When a player has lost all 3 lives they sit out. The losing team is the first with all members to lose all 3 lives. This is a great game though needs a referee.

4: Splodging, (for students new to sparring) all they have is gloves which they don't wear, but hold in their hands. Only allowed to stick to opponents shoulders. Striking to face or swinging not allowed. (great fun if done piggy-back style)

5: KILLER- Circuit training/ Sparring.

3x2minute rounds hands only with 20 press ups between each round.

Then 3x2minute rounds feet only with 20 Sit ups between each round. Then finish off with

3x2minute rounds hands and feet with 20 squat thrust between each round.

Bretty

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-08-03 06:00 ]

How about trying 2 on 1?? ... ok guys NOT THAT! :wink:

To train quick reactions and skills have student attacked by two fighters with the rule that the single one may use all techniques and the two attackers may use only one technique without the one who is attacked knowing what you have instructed to use.

Now the idea of this drill and the next is to teach your students to attack multiple attackers.

Have everyone of your students make a circle in the dojo. Pick one student to go into the middle of the circle, Then pick 2-3 other students to spar the student in the middle until the person in the middle scores once ... one for each attacker. The idea is that the person in the middle has to defend themself using sparring techniques only.

KarateForums Sensei

1st dan Tae Kwon Do (ITF)

Cardio/Fitness Kickboxing Instr.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2002-08-03 08:15 ]

On 2002-08-03 08:14, KickChick wrote:

How about trying 2 on 1?? ... ok guys NOT THAT! :wink:

...my dojo does that every now and then lol

It's great fun!

At my dojo we have this tradition, where everyone testing for an upper belt has to go through the "Circle of Death" (nobody's died in it ... yet :up: ) What this circle consists of is usually anywhere from 5-9 people (usually upper & black belts) in sparring gear. There is one person in the center. That person starts with one of the circle people and works their way around to the last person, (usually our chief instructor) sparring each person for 30 seconds to a minute each.

It's a great endurance workout! I actually threw up in the middle of it at my last test...

Usually we only do the Circle for belt testing, but since 7 of us are up for Black Belt/degrees, we've been doing it in class.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Multiple Opponents. That is always good. Sometimes even three. That way you have to concentrate on all three. Usually you should put beginners in at first with someone intermediate or advanced. Then gradually make it harder.

Blind fold....It is kind of dangerous and recommend only advanced students doing it.

Differnt types of sparring. A knockdown gives a point. No points accepted unless they are hard and clean (full contact with control).

Street Fight simulation. Fake club vs. Empty hand.

Hope I helped out.

:up:

If you have young students (or young at heart) you could have a day of real silliness... make them sing a song (ie. Old McDonald Had a Farm) while they spar. This is actually very hard to do... it pulls your concentration, makes you choke on your mouthgaurd, requires breathing, and generally gets them all giggling so much they forget to be uptight about it. :lol:

If your students are older and not so open to pure silliness in the serious atmosphere of the dojo you can still make this work by having them recite a favorite - it could be a children's poem, the student creed, pledge of allegiance or if you really want to work them out... the Gettysburg Address. :brow:

Whatever you do, remember that the key is variety... anything new is not boring..

--have them spar on their knees - makes kicking almost impossible

--back to back partners, tie them together and make them defend as a team

--musical sparring, the soundtrack to "Rocky" works well, but anything with a good beat does. When the song changes so do partners.

--anything that challenges their sense of balance will ultimately help their sparring. We do some fun things like rooftop, gladiator and sumo sparring... the kids love it. Especially when one of my assistant instructors "loses" to one of the youngest! That kid was a tiger later.

--that reminds me... we do animal sparring too.....ever tried sparring a slug?

if you do what you always did... you'll get what you always got.

Carpe Diem, Semper Fi

Black Belt-Sukiran Ryukyu Karate, Okinawa

Red Belt-TKD-PA, USA

Monkeygirl's zookeeper

We have done kind of free for all things with everyone up. As soon as you are hit you are out. Last one up wins. Also done with using just one side of the body.

Vary by having ranks go after higher ranks first or older students first.

Well perhaps insted of restrciting what they can use to attack try restricting the target area. suchas shoulder sparing or have the students only attack one of the chrests (you cannot cover the chrest with you hand) This will help them attack those hard to reach areas and will teach them how fakes and mobility can help you reach your target while being consious that your oppentant is attempting to do the same thing to you.

hope these suggestions help.

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Heres one thats really dangerous :o (though great fun!! :D )

It's like tag, but instead of tagging them, you have to strike them on their target zone. Of course there are loads of variations, Heard of bulldogs?

BULLDOGS: 2 (safe) zones. Players have to run from one zone to the next with out getting tagged n between by the tagger. We also play this where the tagger has stricking paddles.

If your all very controlled and maybe dissallow running and make people have to walk there aren't that many injuries.

Bretty

Why don't you do exercises and drills/techniques for the first half then have them spar the second half. Put emphasis on the new techniques that you taught them instead of just telling them to go hit each other a lot. Teach them techniques that are practical in tournaments. Drills are a must, or else your classes will be very boring.

Do unto others, as they done to you.