• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TSD Sparring?

A few weeks ago i found out that a student was bragging to his buddies that he had armbarred me while training. What the student didn't realize is that i was working defense, while trying to feed him certain things that he could work on from top position. At first my ego kicked in and i thought "That little punk, how dare he brag like that." Then i got to thinking about it, the first time i tapped my instructor i was very excited about it. Im sure he was letting me work things so that i could feel some success, but i was still excited.

After this i decided that it was ok because the student was just excited about hitting a technique and that should be encouraged.

Its when times like this arise that it can be tough to not "put them back in their place." Kudos to you for holding back on that feeling.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to make a reality check on my own rolling and sparring. I had a small 20 year break and now after the break and bit over 50 years of age - looks like I can not win all the time?

It's very hard to deal with the fact that your not running the show - more like trying to survive:-)

So I can't be the best any more. (It's not realistic to even expect it from my self.)

I need to explain to my self that I roll (bjj) to be in shape and spar (karate) just for the fun of it:-). It's my way of trying to keep my ego checked - even when I get submitted or some one score a point from me.

The next time we rolled, i did tend to crossface him and grind him a little more than usual, but nothing he couldn't handle. :D

Hehe..yeah, I probably would have give a little extra, too. Does that mean we are bad people? Or that we are just trying to re-check their ego? And soothing our own... :roll:

• 6 months later...

I take Tang Soo Do. There are 2 hour classes on Saturday. First hour is for the class, 2nd hour is for the sparring. Sometimes, if there is time, we might spend some time doing sparring on weekdays. I feel like my school does it a lot, or more than they need to, at least. I personally like sparring, so of course I don't mind.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)