• 4 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't been on the forum for a while. We did start to spar about a month or so after I posted this thread. In my school the instructor allows us to use full contact except no punches to the face. We are allowed contact to the head with a kicks, but with my height 5 7 and everyone else in my class is close to 6 foot and taller that does not happen too often. lol After my first sparring session I was happy that we waited that long to spar since I realized how important to have every single basic technique down before you spar.

• 4 weeks later...

i disagree i took tang soo do for 13 years under grandmaster william d clingan and I spard from day one literally 30 min after i walked in the door i was out on the floor. This allowed me from a very early age in my training to first hand see what my weakness were and what i needed to change. now wile we do wear hand pads there is no restriction to power or wear to hit we do not separate children or women from men. As for it producing bad technique that cant be corrected that is your weakness as and instructor. It is your job you re program your student we all come with a full cup. it is your job to empty it and re fill it. Sparring will not develop bad habbets if instructed right. Even on a beginners first day. specifically because the student needs to find what works for him in a self defince situation.

I've seen schools that held off sparring for a few ranks, and I've seen schools start sparring from the first day. If the instructor is good, then sparring from day one won't hurt a student. If anything, at least they start to learn how to move in conjunction with another trying to move in and out and strike them.

We tend to start on the 1st or 2nd day. Pretty much"Here's a jab, a hook, a cross, here's a couple covers. Now use them." Then I get to immediately start correcting things. The only thing is be careful not to hit a beginner too hard. It can cause learned helplessness and reinforce avoidance behavior. Or as us rednecks say "make em gunshy."

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

no as for tsd and soobakdo being light or no contact. Than is totally wrong i can trace my instructor lineage directly to gm hwang kee his 1st through 4th dan were giving to him by gm hwang kee. I am pointing this out so you all realize traditional tsd free sparring is full contact no pulling punches no set movement full contact free sparing. that was one major factor the gm took in when he chose to remane independent from tkd now wile light contact teaches great control and accuracy. It teaches you to pull punches and i have first hand seen this causes much more harm than good in a real life situation. people forget tang soo do and soo bak do our a martial art= military art not sport karate we were never designed foe compilation we were designed to defend our self's from military invaders we dont pull punches we left for tkd no disrespect just the 2 arts took way diffrent directions. and in my opinion its sad that the new generation on instructors are taking treys arts in new directions spacificly to a sporty side. Y did gm fight for Independence if you guys are going to revert back to what he fought so hard not to become

Well, the Oh Do Kwan TKD, which became ITF TKD, was trained to the Korean military, and I've heard that it was quite effective at that time, and that is what was being taught by Gen. Choi and Nam Tae-He.

• 7 months later...

All depends on your instructor. At my Taekwondo academy white belts spar if they desire. Sparring doesn’t become mandatory until intermediate….did you bring up your feelings to your instructor? There is no such thing as the wrong martial art. All are correct in their unique ways. I can say sparring for sure will get you burning calories.

We had an interesting discussion on sparring yesterday.

Argument was that if you always spar 100%, you will not learn the tecniques. (Or atleast not so many- you tend to stick with the ones you are safe with.)

If you always spar too soft, you will learn sloppy techniques.

So most of the times, you should be save and let the other score, if the technique is good enough. If you are a competitor, you need to do some full speed - full effort sparring ( some - not all the time).

And sloppy sparring? Maybe warm up? or cool down? Maybe it should never be sloppy, only slow motion:-)