• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TSD Sparring?

Sparring at 100% is a sure way to make sure you stunt your growth as a fighter. You will, without a doubt, stick to what you already know due to the ramifications of failure. Your game doesn't grow. In fact, I've seen more sloppy full go matches than anything else in my time.

As to that, sparring of ANY kind should NEVER be sloppy. It should always be clean. Bad habits can develop if it's allowed in any contact level. This is not a failing of of type of sparring, but a failure of instruction and dedication of the student.

Even set at 30- 60 percent (a good training pace) technique should be good, clear, and precised. No bad habit should be acquired. This allows you to try new things and work to expand your game without the crushing fear of being killed for stepping off your A game.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argument was made by a 6th dan Judoka. His the head coach of our national team. He stated that even the national team has a problem with taking it easy - real, but not sloppy. Sparring starts easy, but it builds up to full spead vey fast.

How do you prevent this? How can you keep players ego checked?

Argument was made by a 6th dan Judoka. His the head coach of our national team. He stated that even the national team has a problem with taking it easy - real, but not sloppy. Sparring starts easy, but it builds up to full spead vey fast.

This is a very good question, i suggest that if you want to take things down a notch, just remind them every once in a while, don't be to proud to speak up.

We have the same problem at our school, as tallgeese can attest to. It starts of friendly working slow and technical until someone lands a good one, then all bets are off. :lol:

This is a very good question, i suggest that if you want to take things down a notch, just remind them every once in a while, don't be to proud to speak up.

We have the same problem at our school, as tallgeese can attest to. It starts of friendly working slow and technical until someone lands a good one, then all bets are off. :lol:

I've seen that happen before, and have been part of it before. That's when the instructor needs to step in, call "break!" and stop things for a bit. Discuss something about the matches. Another good way to slow things down is to make sparring with limitations, especially those things particular people are good at. This forces them to think of using other options, and controlling the pace of the match in a natural way.

Dealing with the ego is difficult, especially for type A alpha male types that tend to excel at martial arts. I don't care what anyone says, everyone has ego, everyone wants to be the best on the floor, across styles.

There's an interesting interview with Frank Shamrock in Sheridan's book "A Fighter's Mind" regarding ego. He states that confidence is highly important to the martial artist. Ego; however, is a major enemy. It's what keeps you from learning. And that's the surest way to fall behind the game.

I think this is very true. I think the best way to keep it on everyone's mind is to continue to pound the training pace into everyone's head until it becomes the culture of your gym. Making everyone realize why you're there (not to compete with one anther, there are venues for that). Once you get everyone on the mat to buy into it, the easier it will be to keep the speed, and egos, in check.

It's building that culture that's difficult, as is, once built assimilating new people into. I always challenge people who disagree to train that way for one month. One solid month at a real training pace instead of creeping into ego. It's short enough that most people can manage to a decent degree. Then have them honestly check their progress. Generally they'll see that they've progressed and buy in.

It's the "but...." part that has to disapear. You can't control everyone else on the floor. But you can influence them, and the best way to do that is to not get caught up in those traps yourself. If that means you get crushed a bit here and there so be it. They'll get the idea. Or if they don't simply don't work with those people.

In jits, the easiest way to work on this is by rolling from position during open mat. In other words, you start with a dude in superior position. Now, without spazzing, work out. Then switch. There's no ego in it if you are supposed to lose.

To translate to more traditional arts, think about developing sparring drills from a negative standpoint. For instance, consider tying one of your arms down and then being placed on "defense only". Now you will actually work your head movement instead of relying on your hands to do everything because you have to. Again, you don't worry when you get hit because you are supposed to get hit, you're only working with one cover hand after all.

See the idea? By starting in a negative position, you eliminate ego. Now, with proper control on your partner's end, you can work your material with limited fear of a)injury and b) loss of face. Everyone starts to get into the culture you're trying to build.

Soon, you'll all be rolling or sparring this way without specialized drills. The people who can see the value in these sorts of exercises are the one to seek out to randori with. Leave the ego driven "must throw at all costs" guys to themselves.

Like the idea of negative position - and very much the implication to all styles. This gives a lot to work with.

Thanks Tallgeese

It's especially useful when you're the most experienced or the big guy. Then the lower ranks still get to work some offense and you still get to improve.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

A few weeks ago i found out that a student was bragging to his buddies that he had armbarred me while training. What the student didn't realize is that i was working defense, while trying to feed him certain things that he could work on from top position. At first my ego kicked in and i thought "That little punk, how dare he brag like that." Then i got to thinking about it, the first time i tapped my instructor i was very excited about it. Im sure he was letting me work things so that i could feel some success, but i was still excited.

After this i decided that it was ok because the student was just excited about hitting a technique and that should be encouraged.