• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TSD Sparring?

I have been taking TSD classes for about a month now, I really enjoy it but the only thing I dont like is there hasn't been one sparring session this whole month. I understand that even if there was a session I probally should not spar bc I have only taken classes for a month, but in the future I would really like to spar. Are most TSD classes with limited contact? I know I am probally sounding way too ambitious but I am 24 and wanted to take a form of martial arts that has some physical components to it, before I get too old and lose that motavation. Basically I am asking if I choosed the wrong type of martial arts?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every school is different-even those of the same style. I suggest you ask your instructor how much sparring you will be doing and when students normally start. When I took TSD-many years ago- we started sparring as white belts but contact was limited.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

To echo ninjanurse, it'll largely depend on the school and instructor, not the style. Best thing to do is ask your instructor. Or if you have your school's syllabus, look through that and see what grade sparring becomes a requirement. Typically though you might find you'll have to do at least one grading/couple of months training to start sparring.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Some schools spar right away, and others might require you to wait until you have a few ranks in before sparring. Then, a sparring session may become available to you.

As the others mentioned, speak to the instructor and find out.

I have been taking TSD classes for about a month now, I really enjoy it but the only thing I dont like is there hasn't been one sparring session this whole month. I understand that even if there was a session I probally should not spar bc I have only taken classes for a month, but in the future I would really like to spar. Are most TSD classes with limited contact? I know I am probally sounding way too ambitious but I am 24 and wanted to take a form of martial arts that has some physical components to it, before I get too old and lose that motavation. Basically I am asking if I choosed the wrong type of martial arts?

TKD have been criticized in the past for promoting too much sparing. But most traditional martial arts won't let you spar until you learn the basics. And most people with one month of instruction haven't gotten their basics down.

So you're going to have to prove it to your instructor that you are capable of sparing. Pull him aside and show him what you've learn. If you've advanced enough, he'll let you spar.

BTW, most beginners say they love to spar until their first bloody nose.

Are most TSD classes with limited contact? . . . Basically I am asking if I choosed the wrong type of martial arts?

Soo Bahk Do and Tang Soo Do are closely related. Non-contact to light contact sparring is the rule in Soo Bahk Do. It's possible that your school follows a similar rule. When I took Tae Kwon Do when younger, it was non-contact; that same school became a contact school within the last decade.

Please check with your instructor. There are many adults who do not want contact, and there are many parents who do not want contact for their children, so that should be cleared up with your instructor before you go further.

At age 24, I believe someone in good health and with the feelings you have should experience light to moderate contact (such as light to the face/head, but moderate to the torso); full contact is something I don't favor, but that's me.

I do understand what others have said, that sparring might not be permitted for someone below a certain belt, and when I took non-contact Tae Kwon Do, I actually had to wait until my first promotion to do non-contact sparring, likely b/c it takes control to come close but not connect. But find out from your instructor about contact, TSD: non, light, light-moderate?

~ Joe

Vee Arnis Jitsu/JuJitsu

Just a comment on sparring. I've just started Han Moo Do - the Finnish oriented version. Sparring is "full contact" - but hitting head is not allowed.

(For 4 years or more practised are allowed head contact with kicks.)

I've been in three practise sessions and entered club competition - just like other white belts. Others have two months of practise under their belt.)

Competition is a little tough way to begin sparring.