• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All About Jumping

Shotokan_Tigress

Which jump do you find more difficult?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which jump do you find more difficult?

• Heian Godan
    • Empi
    • Kanku Sho's First
    • Kanku Sho's Second
    • Unsu

Much better. Driving the knee through rather than swinging it around gave me a lot more control of the technique, not that it was perfect. The top-heavy/balance problem was a lot less likely to rear it's ugly head if I kept control of my hips and tanden throughout the action and didn't just try to salvage a decent hip tuck as I was landing.

The by-product of the practice is I found a lot more control of the pivot leg stepping forward to kokutsu-dachi executing shuto, finding more positive energy out of the thigh as a reference point for generating rotational power, which is one of my weak points.

My heels are killing me (I've got some callous issues on both feet) and my left hip is a little tired at the illiac crest from trying to decide whether the hips should be open or closed coming out of the crouch (going with open for now - I'll have to check with Sensei) so for now I plan to move away from empi for a while, making it my secondary advanced during self-practice, which I try to find around 5 hours a week for. Time to move kanku dai to the forefront for a while, starting with trying to apply some of the newfound rotational power to the turns.

we all have our moments

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt