• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

All About Jumping

Shotokan_Tigress

Which jump do you find more difficult?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which jump do you find more difficult?

• Heian Godan
    • Empi
    • Kanku Sho's First
    • Kanku Sho's Second
    • Unsu

Hello

I thought we could make this a thread for discussing the jumps in our styles and the troubles we have performing them AND sharing tips and advice on how to jump better. All opinions are appreciated.

Personally, I find the first jump in Kanku Sho very difficult. I think my problem is with the position of the arms. They quite get in my way!

The greatest fight is the fight with oneself

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Only Jump I have in my syllabus is from a Tobi Ushiro Mawashi Geri, this found in the Shodan Kata.

I remember my Wado days, thinking what is the practicality of this technique for Pinan Godan, And the application didn't include the jump!

To me Jumping techniques are to increase staminar and balance as Only Jean-Claude Van Dame and the likes would perform a jump on camera during a street confrontation.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

IMO, most if not all jumps are actually (judo) throws. We just happen to interpret them as leaping over a stick attack because most of our past senseis are punch & kick driven.

Karate is a system design for simplicity. Mastery is by repetition of simple techniques. There are no double-super-secret complicated death strikes.

So anytime you encounter a weird technique such as a jump or funny block, ask yourself whether it could be a non-strike/block.

Could the weird openning double block in Heian (Pinan) Yodan actually be an armbar? That's how they teach it in the US army manual.

Could the weird jump low x-block in Heian Godan be actually an ippon seoi nage (shoulder throw)? Ask a judoka to break down an ippon seoi nage and you'll know what I mean.

I've no issue and/or difficulty with any of the Kata's listed in this poll, except for Unsu, and this is what happens when old age introduces itself and let's you know that you're not that youngster so many years ago. However, I struggled greatly with the Unsu jump when I was learning it, but after the learning curve was finished; the jump in Unsu was no big deal. Now, because of my right knee, this jump in its totality isn't possible nor is it pretty to behold.

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I rather like the jump in Oh-dan. My school has a jump in Bassaid Dai that is truly awkward though. It's a straight jump with a left-right punch from a low front stance without changing feet.

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

I rather like the jump in Oh-dan. My school has a jump in Bassaid Dai that is truly awkward though. It's a straight jump with a left-right punch from a low front stance without changing feet.

Have you got a Video of this jump in Bassai, I practice Bassai TSD version but we don't have any jumps in it

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Have you got a Video of this jump in Bassai, I practice Bassai TSD version but we don't have any jumps in it

Where most places do a shuffle punch- going back down the center after the side kick. I personally think it's silly, as are a lot of the explanations of certain moves. I'm as likely to jump straight legged and locked down as I am to stick my fingers in front of a sword or staff to protect my wrist. Why would you destroy both?! About 0:53 in this vid. (not my school, but close enough)

The best a man can hope for

is, over the course of his lifetime,

to change for the better.

heinan godan - i don't know the others yet. I'm learning Kanku dai, but the jump isn't as hard.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 1 month later...

Empi but probably only because I'm working on it (and I've got the sore heels to prove it :brow: ). A stable landing is always one for the bookies and I tend to land either with my feet out of line (wide) or top heavy tending backwards over the hips. This morning I actually overrotated a couple times. *shrug* At least it's a different mistake. :lol:

I'm thinking it might be because I've forgotten to drive the right leg up close to the axis of rotation going into the turn. I remember from the last time I was working on it that things got all mushy and useless when I let it swing out wide.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning.

we all have our moments