• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Awkward situation at the dojo (sparring related)

likeke34

I've been in a similar situation. When I was a lower ranking belt, I sparred a blackbelt who was very boastful about his kumite skill. He kept throwing these really wild high spinning and jumping kicks. I kept backing out of his zone until I could guage what was going on. Then suddenly I jumped in under his kick and just lifted his kicking leg while he was still in the air. He fell flat on his behind and completely embarrassed him that a lowly blue belt could do this.

Of course he took me aside after class and informed me that he was having an off night and perhaps I should watch my control. I wasn't really concerned because another blackbelt took me aside and let me know that this guy has a tendancy to be a bit big for his britches and needed a lesson in humility.

Some people feel the need to show off and when they get called out or shown up, they get really ticked off.

Good luck with your situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half a lifetime ago, at my 1st Dan test, we had a student from an associated school sparring with us. He was older than me (I was 14) and bigger. He hit me harder than I wanted to be hit. I politely asked him to lighten up. A minute later he was still throwing too hard, so I politely asked him too lighten up. A minute later he was still throwing too hard. I ACCIDENTALLY broke his nose. Later on, our Sensei ACCIDENTALLY knocked him out.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

For me, it all depends on the school and the dicipline. In a dojo where being family friendly is the number one goal, he might get talked to and if it happened again, asked to leave. In a lot of schools everyone would just stop sparring with the guy. In a Muay Thai, or MMA type of school, the instructors often run guys like that into the ground repeatedly while explaining the reason for doing it. I suppose talking to the guy in a calm manner is step number one...

"A gun is a tool. Like a butcher knife or a harpoon, or uhh... an alligator."

― Homer, The Simpsons

For me, it all depends on the school and the dicipline. In a dojo where being family friendly is the number one goal, he might get talked to and if it happened again, asked to leave. In a lot of schools everyone would just stop sparring with the guy. In a Muay Thai, or MMA type of school, the instructors often run guys like that into the ground repeatedly while explaining the reason for doing it. I suppose talking to the guy in a calm manner is step number one...

Yes dicipline is very important when dealing with jerks like this, the ability to stay calm yourself and not have the thing turn ugly requires much dicipline.

Be glad it wasn't like this.

Wow...that guy has issues!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

thanks for the replies! it actually blew over and when i talked to the sensei about it, he said he had some issues with him as well and that he used to try and avoid lining up w/him when he was in the class training a few yrs ago... apparently he was talked to in the past and he said he understood but he still has some ego issues so rather than getting into it, i just avoid lining up w/him... it's all good now though

here's some info if it's confusing when i say the sensei was in the class training... the sensei is actually my sempai who started training a few months before i started (over 20yrs ago)... our sensei handed down the dojo to us and he was the highest rank = sensei, i'm next highest

thanks for the replies! it actually blew over and when i talked to the sensei about it, he said he had some issues with him as well and that he used to try and avoid lining up w/him when he was in the class training a few yrs ago... apparently he was talked to in the past and he said he understood but he still has some ego issues so rather than getting into it, i just avoid lining up w/him... it's all good now though

But what about the person that DOES have to line up with him? Idk. This seems more like something that the sensei should talk to the guy about and have him stop as opposed to just telling people not to line up with him. Someone is going to have to line up with him, which means someone's going to get abused.

But what about the person that DOES have to line up with him? Idk. This seems more like something that the sensei should talk to the guy about and have him stop as opposed to just telling people not to line up with him. Someone is going to have to line up with him, which means someone's going to get abused.

he was talked to before and he said he understood... but like i said, he does have an ego problem... he only does it to certain people who outrank him from what i was told and what i've seen... it seems like his way of trying to gain recognition/status over others but it has backfired so far and that's where the real issues comes because he acts bitter after...

I've watched him against others and he hasn't attacked them all out... it's only happened to me and the sensei and we are the only 2 who outrank him... it is an issue that sticks in the back of my head though because there are others who may rank up that aren't there to prove they are the best in the class at kumite... the sensei is well aware of the issue though and has talked to him in the past so for now, all i can do is take it as that

btw, if anyone is curious, the sensei and another black belt who was there told me what happened...

apparently he went all out on the sensei (back when sensei was a student), so the sensei reacted w/a mae geri that sent him back into the ground... when he came back up the sensei just attacked him w/pretty hard leg kicks... he ended up missing practice for a few days and when he came back they had a talk... anyways, thanks for all the replies